Chapter forty

Penelope tossed and turned with a frown on her face as the light coming through the curtains in Adonis’ room irritated her eyes. She peered out her good eye at Adonis next to her. He was still asleep. She threw the light covering off her body and went to the bathroom.                                                                       She washed her hands and the sleep from her face and then opened the bathroom door.                                                                                                                                    “Good morning” Adonis said and frightened Penelope. He laughed at her reaction and then side stepped her to go into the bathroom. Penelope went to the bed and threw the cover off as well as the pillows to the air out the bedding.                                                                                                                                       She heard the bathroom door open and then she felt Adonis’s arms around her torso.                                                                                                                                           

“Did you sleep well?”.                                                                                                                        “I did. Apart from the light snoring coming from you”.                                                                     “Well at least I don’t kick in my sleep”.                                                                                             “I was battling creatures” Penelope answered with a shrug and turned around to face him, wrapping her hands around his neck.                                                                                                                                                   “Today is a big day in your life, Adonis. You should probably be getting ready”. Adonis smiled faintly and then walked to his dresser.                                                                      Adonis was beautiful at any time of the day, but when he awoke in the morning, he was remarkably striking. His bed hair made her run her fingers through it as she kissed him. At that moment Penelope wished that she was madly in love with him.

Adonis picked put a black suit with a satin finish at the collar, and placed it on the bed.                                                                                                                                 “This is for you” He said and picked out a lace white dress with a pleated plain skirting, a knee high slit on the one side.                                                                      Penelope’s heart started to race while she thought of the last time he had chosen a dress for her to wear. He had dressed her himself. Would he do it again?                                                                                                                                                                       “You can dress so long. Erica will come soon to do your hair”.                                           The anticipation quickly morphed into disappointment. So he wasn’t going to dress or touch her. Penelope felt her heart sink with despondency. She looked down at the white dress and then back at the suit Adonis was going to wear. She picked up the suit and walked to him. Adonis was fiddling through a draw of socks in his wardrobe.                                                                                                           “Let me help you” She said and hung the hanger with his suit on the door handle of the wardrobe’s door. Penelope undid the draw strings of the dark grey track pants that Adonis had worn without taking her eyes off him.                                                      “Why are you doing this?” He asked her, confusion present in his voice.                                                                                        “I want to” She said and slid his pants down.