Chapter thirty seven

Penelope walked behind Adonis in silence as they retraced their steps towards the entrance and throne of Tartarus. She knew that Adonis had noticed the sudden change in her behaviour, and perhaps that was why he hadn’t said anything to her while they walked. He must know now that he has been caught out. As if he could hear her thoughts, Adonis spoke up.                                                                                           “You’ve been awfully quite since you’ve returned back from meeting with the Fates. Did…Did something happen?”.                                                                                 Penelope scoffed silently to herself. He must have been dying to ask her that question since they left the gated cave.                                                                              Penelope didn’t answer him. She just continued walking, even when he stopped and placed his hands on his hips to halt her from walking. Penelope shook his hands off her and stormed off.                                                                                                                                  “Penelope! Penelope, wait”. Penelope was a few feet ahead of him. She continued to walk away from him, until she collided into the Kobalos.                          

“Lucky are we”.                                                                                                                                                                   

“We meet again”.                                                                                                                         

“Again, she knows not the truth”.                                                                               

“No, this time is different, I know the truth now” Penelope said and glared at Adonis over her shoulder.                                                                                                                                    “Penelope, what did the Fates tell you?”.                                                                                                                       Penelope gripped one of the Kobalos by their necks and glared him down.                                                      “Do you know the path to Tartarus’ throne?”.                                                                “Penelope, what are you doing? They cannot be trusted!” Adonis pulled the Kobalos out of her grip and the three creatures scurried away.                                                “And you? You can?”.                                                                                                   Adonis stared at Penelope before he spoke.                                                                        “What did they tell you? The Fates?”.                                                                                                            “The truth, about you”.                                                                                                              “Look Penelope, the Fates are known to be…”.                                                                     “Testers of the truth, I know that. But can you confirm that you have been completely truthful to me?”.                                                                                                      “There is only one truth that I have kept hidden from you, and after releasing my soul, you would, by now, have learnt the truth”.