Chapter twenty eight

Penelope pressed her index finger and thumb to the bridge of her nose as she sat on the edge of the bed, trying to alleviate the ache in her head. She must’ve fallen asleep. Penelope stood up from the bed and went into the passageway.                                                                                                                                        
She opened every room in the hallway, looking for Adonis. She should have paid attention to Erica when she was giving her a tour.                                                                        

She actually wished that she stayed with Erica on the tour instead of letting her curiosity get the better of her and go all the way to the throne room.                         

Penelope couldn’t hear the tormented souls now. So that must mean that the window was closed. After a few minutes, Penelope reached Adonis’ room.

When she abruptly opened the door, he whipped his head to the door, questioning whoever was so brazen to disturb him. He lent back against a table, had a cigarette in the one hand, the other hand lazily hanging over the back of a chair.                                                                                                                                        

“Come inside, close the door” He said and Penelope did as she was told.                                  

“I have questions” She stated and walked towards him.                                                                                                         

“Is that the only reason you are here?” He asked playfully, but Penelope shook him off.                                                                                                                                                
“I can’t hear any of the tormented souls, so I assumed that the window to hell was closed?”.                                                                                                                                     
“It is. If I had left it open for even another minute longer, you would be writhing in agony. They mess with your head, the souls. They will stop at nothing to get you to free them. And doing that is against Hades’ rule”.                                  

“I understand that. But what is going to happen when you open it tomorrow?”.

Adonis looked at Penelope intensely. He could use this moment to his advantage, he just needed her to take the lead.                                                                        

“You are going to need a replacement. Another fix. Another high” Penelope said thoughtfully. Adonis smiled lowly, she had unknowingly just given him what he had wanted.                                                                                                                          
You are going to have to be that replacement, that fix, that high”. He took a long drag of the cigarette and blew out the smoke.                                                           

“Me? How am I going to do that?”.                                                                                              
“Agree with me first. Swear that you will do as I say, to be the replacement for the tormented souls”.                                                                                                                                                
“Ok, I swear”.                                                                                                                                                         
“Not like that, Penelope. You need to take an oath, so that you will be bounded to your words”.                                                                                                                                                       
“I, Penelope, daughter of Prometheus, agree to be the replacement of the tormented souls, in aide of Adonis”.                                                                                               
Adonis smiled happily. He didn’t think that it would be this easy.