Chapter twenty six

The next morning, Penelope woke up with a stiff neck. It must have been an accumulation of stress, and the wind outside Hades' castle was so strong, she was bound to pull a muscle. Penelope whipped the bedding off her and stood up from the bed.

She looked down at the dress she was wearing. It was wrinkled and there was a slight tear on her right hip. Penelope looked around the room for something else to wear when there was a soft knock on the room door.

Penelope went and opened up. Erica smiled at her and then asked for permission to enter the room. Penelope returned her smile and stepped aside to let her in. She closed the door behind her and walked over to the bed. "How is your master?" She asked Erica softly.

Penelope felt guilty about what had happened between them last night, even though she wasn't quite sure what happened. "Restless. He hasn't slept all night. Your cries kept him awake".

"I was crying in my sleep?" Penelope asked and looked at Erica with an astonished expression on her face.

"Yes, mistress. I brought you this set of clothing for the day, you can choose which suits you best. Breakfast will be served in the dining hall in twenty minutes. Master will wait for you". Erica left the room, closing the door behind her.

Penelope picked up the first dress. It was an emerald green velvet long sleeve dress. The second was a black plain dress with sheer sleeves. Penelope chose the latter and took it with her into the bathroom.

Adonis stood in the dining hall with his hands folded behind his back. He peered out the large window which overlooked the western region of the dry lands up until the gated mansion of Morpheus and his family.

He had spent most of his time yesterday waiting and watching as Penelope made her journey to Hades castle. "Master, mistress is here".
Adonis turned around and looked at Penelope. She had chosen to wear the black dress instead of the green. She had chosen correctly, this one suited her far better than the emerald green would have.

Penelope watched Erica as she left the room and then her turned her attention to Adonis. "Good morning". "Morning, have a seat". Adonis pulled out a chair for Penelope to sit down and then took his seat on the opposite end of the table. The two of them ate their breakfast in utter silence, but it was hard for Adonis to not gaze upon Penelope.

"You're staring" She said softly, her attention focussed on the food in front of her. "Does that make you uncomfortable?".

Penelope didn't answer him, instead she decided she would apologise for last night. "I'm sorry, about last night, I can understand that...". "There is no need to apologise, Penelope. I cannot completely blame you for not understanding the intricacies of your quest and for that, you need not apologise to me".

Penelope felt confliction filter through her. With a single sentence, Adonis was able to appreciate and undermine her. Was he degrading her, or applauding her efforts?

When she looked up and met Adonis' eyes, he had this intense glare on his face. "Is something wrong?" She asked him, suddenly very conscious. "What do you think?".

Adonis stood from his seat across the table and kept his hands behind his back as he slowly walked towards her.

"What do I think?". "Yes, that is what I asked you" He pointed out with a raised eyebrow. "I'm not sure.... Are you upset because of last....". "The events which unfolded last night is of no longer a concern to me. You however, are".

"Me? As in you want me to figure out the last step of the quest and let you free?". Adonis had an amused expression on his face. Adonis sighed softly and shook his head. She really didn't have any idea about what she truly was supposed to do.

Penelope frowned at Adonis and stood up as well. "Yes, exactly. My king and queen are expected to be home by tomorrow. I want you to figure out what you need to do before they arrive home". "But, I don't really know. I was hoping you could tell me". Adonis raised both eyebrows at Penelope's suggestion.

"Like...am I supposed to capture your soul and bring it back to you here? If so, then am I supposed to go back to Mount Lebanon? Or would...revenge lighten your burden?".

Penelope could see that what she had said interested Adonis. He walked up to her and stood in front of her.

"Revenge? Explain to me in detail what that would mean". There was a dangerous smirk on his face that made Penelope think that she had just said the wrong thing to him. Penelope couldn't tell if he was being serious or if he was just messing around with her.

"I could have Ares killed". Penelope wasn't sure if that was even an option. She couldn't kill Ares, the God of war. It would be another strike against her in the council's eyes. Alexiares was destined to kill Ares, not her.

Even if she wanted to, she couldn't. The Fates would see to that. And it wasn't like she and Alexiares were on good terms that she could cash in a favour. Adonis threw his beautiful head back and laughed wholesomely. Suddenly she felt angry that he was mocking her. When Adonis was done snickering, he looked at her.

"You really think you have it in you? To kill Ares?" He asked and continued laughing.

If Penelope wasn't so mad and embarrassed, she would've joined in, gifting her ears the deep, lulling laughter that belonged to Adonis. "You doubt my strength?" She asked him and crossed her arms against her chest defensively.

Adonis didn't answer her, he couldn't stop chuckling. By now, the tears were coming out of his eyes.
"You will go against the laws of the council, against the Fates and kill Ares?". "Whatever needs to be done" She said and shrugged. Penelope looked at Adonis with a stern expression on her face. How could he be insult her like that? She was the daughter of a Titan lord. She was far from powerless.

"Fine. I'll show you. I'll prove myself to you". Adonis stopped chuckling and looked at Penelope with those intense eyes of his. "Fine with me, but I'll give you the test".

And with that he walked out of the room, leaving behind a baffled and frustrated Penelope.