8

The goddess quickly locates Kol inside the mansion to inform him

The goddess quickly locates Kol inside the mansion to inform him. "Bonnie is almost done with the spell to unlink you all."

He nods his head with a content smile on his face at the update, "and then we will all be free."

For a moment, she lets herself wonder if his words imply his departure from the quaint city soon. There's a possibility he might flee without looking back, a thought that leaves her stomach feeling uneasy.

"I just saw Finn all happy and reunited with his old lover," he starts again, scrunching his nose up, "And then Stefan and Elena were in the square staring, probably up to their usual no good."

Atë's eyes widen at this, realizing that another scenario is in play now. She curses at herself since she normally knows and is aware of everything going on but she chose to focus on seeing to the unlinking. She didn't think the opposing group would be this idiotic with their plan, but if only they knew the truth about their consequences.

Atë's gaze locks with Kol's, "Listen to me very carefully because we don't have much time. They are going to try to kill Finn with a white oak stake." His pupils enlarge immediately as her words sink in and then harden again as he runs to the living room to speed Bonnie up with the spell as the goddess flees to appear in front of the grill.

Ready to use her powers of mischief and deception to protect Finn long enough for Bonnie to complete the spell, she sees Stefan hiding behind the corner of a wall of the alley. Sage quickly throws him down harshly, forcing the stake to tumble down the steps.

Finn runs down to grab ahold of the stake, but Elena and Matt burst through the back door with a crossbow, shooting at their target with amateur precision.

Atë calls out for them to stop but they don't listen to her demands midst the chaos of this particular scenario, their eyes too blinded by the possibility of a life without fear of someone stronger.

Elena charges at the vampire next to make a quick attempt, acknowledging the window of success closing rapidly. The goddess morphs Finn's face into her dead aunt Jenna instead, which forces the doppelgänger to hesitate and loosen her grip.

Finn slips away from the weak human grasp of Elena, much to Atë's pleasure, but the next actions happen so quickly. Matt swoops in to knock Finn off his feet, lodging the white oak stake into his heart.

The goddess rushes forward down the stairwell as Finn's body starts to desiccate as Sage screams for her lover. She sobs uncontrollably as his skin grays and then ignites in flames. Her cries can be heard a block away, grief and devastation riddling her body and mind.

Atë feels the spell lift off the eldest brother's body, relief flooding her mind momentarily. The three quietly get away as Atë stares at the flames flickering in the daytime.

She charges after Stefan, Matt, and Elena to see the three breathing heavily. They let out an instant sigh of relief, thinking their whole dilemma with Klaus has finally concluded, but they look up when 'Callista' stands before them with a cold, pointed look on her face. Her words come out venomous and sharp, "I hope you know that you all are a bunch of fucking idiots."