18

I want to dedicate this chapter to slayingstelena for all of her wonderful comments about this book <3 A big thank you to others commenting and voting as well!

Following Elena's collapse and hospital visit, she rests at home feeling completely normal, fully unaware of just exactly the extent Dr. Meredith Fell treated her so called concussion. Despite the health scare, she is still faced with a major decision that will shape who she is as a person, her friendships, and love life.

Atë meets Elijah outside the Gilbert residence, him dressed in his signature outfit considering of a classic suit. Briefly reading his thoughts, she senses a whole range of emotions. Part of him is angry about the state his brother is in, vulnerable and alone. The other recognizes that Klaus has terrorized this group of people for his selfish needs and now, he has finally pushed someone far enough to discover a means of retaliation.

He nods his head curtly to greet the brunette, ready to head inside to make a deal. Before the two head in, the goddess assures the older brother, "Klaus will be fine, even with Alaric on the loose."

Elijah blinks to comprehend and believe her words. "How can you be so sure?"

She smiles confidently with such undeniable affirmation, "I just know."

When they knock on the door, a perfectly healthy Elena appears in the doorway. "Elijah," she breathes out, a bit caught off guard by his presence.

She leads the two over to the living room, Elijah carefully brushing back the jacket of his suit before taking his seat. He begins his case, "All we need is to take that stake away from him. Once he's been disarmed, the weapon is in my possession, my family will scatter to the ends of the Earth and Alaric will follow us."

Stefan protectively walks closer to the Original, quite skeptical of the words coming out of his mouth. "And you'll just...run?"

"We've done it before. Klaus and Rebekah spent the better part of a thousand years evading my father. What's another half century while Elena's able to live out the rest of her natural life?"

Even Atë has to admit, there is something compelling by the ways in which Elijah crafts his thoughts into words. They are carefully procured to address his audience, him hoping that Elena will be on board with the offer.

Elena glances down in her lap for a moment before looking back up to state strongly, "We finally stopped him, Elijah. After everything that he's done to us, I can't just let you bring him back." The goddess understands the doppelgänger's fears and perspective, but preserving all sire lines of the vampire race should take priority considering at least one of her friends, Tyler, is definitely sired to Klaus. Klaus being down means he has no means of protecting himself from any of Alaric's strategic moves.