17

The goddess heads over to the almost empty school, knowing Alaric is lurking in the dimly lit corridors, anxiously and eagerly waiting for dusk in order to begin his hunt

Klaus is probably at Elena's house now, threatening lives in order to get what he wants: her blood to make more hybrids.

She steps inside the double doors at the entrance of the high school, wandering around the hallways to find Esther's malevolent  creation. A pain scream echoes from a classroom down the hall, the voice belonging to the bubbly blonde.

Atë peers inside the doorway to spot Alaric torturing Caroline with vervain and pencils stabbed through her hands, a terrified Elena begging him to stop. With an edge to her taunting tone, she leans against the doorway and speaks up, "Well you took on Esther and Klaus' theatrics."

The hunter states in a nefarious manner, "I'm just trying to teach Elena the dangers of vampire and how to protect herself by killing them all." He removes his eyes away from the withering Caroline, "I'm surprised the Mikaelsons sent you."

The doppelgänger locks gaze with Atë, relieved to see someone in the school to help her and her friend out of this nightmare. The goddess playfully asks, "Elena, has Alaric taught you to never underestimate your opponent." She pauses, "No? That's too bad."

She immobilizes Alaric, getting into his head to make him think his feet are restrained to the ground.

Atë nods at the other brunette, her jumping up from the plastic seat to free Caroline's restraints. The hunter chuckles, "You're not going to freeze again are you?"

Stepping towards him with a dangerous glint in her eyes, she displays a deadly smile on her lips, "Not this time." She makes him hallucinate flames dancing up his legs, elicit agonizing groans to giver Caroline the opportunity to run free.

Using her abilities, she morphs a pen on the table into a wooden stake, knowing that it won't kill him permanently but will buy them some time to find the white oak stake. As the stake is raised above his heart, Elena cries out, "Please don't kill him!" Atë raises her eyebrows, "Our Alaric has to be in there somewhere and I'm not ready to give up on him."

The goddess stares at the human, a bit taken aback by her confidence and desire to save the man who seems too far gone. She closes her eyes for a moment and gathers that Elena is correct and there is hope for him. "That may be true, but I can't let him destroy vampires and I'm not sure you are willing to risk that either."

A contemplative look washes over her face, her not knowing what to do. Atë reassuringly peers at her, "I'm sorry for your loss Elena." The stake pierces Alaric's skin, but Atë withdraws the weapon when Elena screams in pain. She sees a small patch of blood over her chest and mutters out, "Well shit. This complicates things."

The pain subsides but Elena's eyes widen, understanding that her life is connected to Alaric's, which is why Esther needed her blood for the spell. The goddess mentally curses out Esther and her mind block, wishing she had known this fact.