16

The next morning comes around, and Atë finds herself entering the Mikaelson home fairly early in the day, especially considering she couldn't sleep with all the noise circulating in her head

The next morning comes around, and Atë finds herself entering the Mikaelson home fairly early in the day, especially considering she couldn't sleep with all the noise circulating in her head. As much as she tried to clear her head, persistent thoughts and theories kept popping up.

Kol greets her at the door, noting the slight hint of irritability on her facial features. He chooses to remain quiet now, remembering back to yesterday and her lack of desire to talk about what happened with Esther and information about her unknown father.

Once inside, Klaus pops his head out of his art room while holding one of his treasured paintings in his hands, "Good morning, Callista." The hybrid seems much more chipper today given the fact that his mother is finally dead and can no longer hurt him. The goddess can't blame him for being relieved, she would be too.

Atë forces herself to smile back in attempts to not disclose her sour mood, but she can drop it with relief when Rebekah charges into the house with a terrified look on her face. The goddess skims her mind and mutters out, "Oh no."

The three vampires glance at her briefly before training their eyes on the blonde. An exasperated Rebekah states, "Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me."

The hybrid's eyes widen at this, almost in disbelief that his mother found a way to retaliate even from death. He mentally curses to himself for not seeing to it that Alaric died in transition. "Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead."

"Well, he's not! And he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nik. Too strong."

Despite the hybrid's internal thoughts on the situation, on the outside Klaus seems a bit too unbothered by this information and evenly asks, "Where is he now?"

Rebekah responds with more urgency, "Stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls, he'll come after us. We need to leave now."

"Fine," Klaus states, placing the painting into a box. "I'll collect Elena and we'll be on our way."

The sister stares at her brother dumbfounded at his insane obsession with the doppelgänger her ability to allow him to produce more hybrids, "Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!"

Kol and Atë look between the two siblings that are increasingly growing frustrated with one another over difference in opinions. "What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us."

Atë finally jumps into the conversation after having enough of the bickering given the chaos occurring in her mind. "I can protect you all."

The hybrid scoffs at her comment, "No offense sweetheart, but you let my mother's manipulation get to you last night when it mattered most." Kol tries to interject but his brother cuts him off, "And because of what? Not knowing who your father is? I heard you mention it to Kol yesterday. I don't think you're equipped to protect us, even if you have these certain abilities."