Chapter 40

Mavor's P.O.V

"Friends. We are gathered here today, as you are all aware, to pay our last tributes and respects to the memory of our departed friend Evangeline Vitson..."

The service was long.

So many people had been touched by her that everyone wanted to say their final thanks and goodbyes.

I couldn't say anything to anyone, I could only say six words when I stood next to her casket, in front of everyone in the church.

"I'll miss you. I'm so sorry."

*

We had been on vacation, the alarm bells had rang and we had been locked in a restaurant.

We watched on the t.v what cameras were recording of the scene.

We saw them fight, protecting all of us inside and around the city.

We saw the angel, protect her friends.

We saw her fly.

We watched her die.

It wasn't until my mother fell to the floor sobbing, that I realized that this impacted us more than I could have imagined.

It was that day that I realized that the angel had been Angel, all along.

The signs had been there, I was just to dumb to see them.

The sneaking out, the ditching me, the not being around when you would look for her.

She had been doing great things and I had accused her of cheating.

That kept me up at night.

I just wish I could take it all back.

*

Everyone around the room at our house shared stories with others about Angel most crying as they did so. I sat in a chair crying silently I hadn't got a chance to apologize, let alone say goodbye.

I cried harder when I heard Tommy ask why Angel wouldn't be coming back.

"But why?!" he cried, confused.

He cried so loudy making everyone tear up.

Suddenly the door of the house opens and a question is asked to the room.

"Why is everyone so sad?"

Everyone gasps and Tommy stops crying, the room is silent, so I get up, trying to see who had asked that.

What I see shakes me to my core.

But I manage a whisper to come through my lips,

"Angel?"