Chapter 16; Daddy?

"Love is like an open book with encrypted pages..." By N and J

KENDRA'S POV.

"Mommy..." Emily called out again.

"Yes sweetheart, let me get you some water okay.."

I took a cup and poured some water from the jar before placing it on the table by her bed.

I helped her sit up and brought the cup to her mouth.

After making sure she wasn't hungry I switched on the TV on the wall to one of her favorite shows, Sophia the first.

"Do you need anything else, baby?" I asked.

"No mommy."

At the same time, Ethan finally decided to exit the bathroom he'd made an escape to for the last fifteen minutes.

I couldn't help as my gaze wandered down to his... Uhm... Problem.

When I looked up I'd already been caught and I just knew I was a fire truck already.

He walked forwards and cleared his throat.

"How's my baby feeling today?" He asked Emily.

"I'm fine uncle handsome." She smiled but you could clearly see it was a sad one.

"And what's that frown for?" He asked again clearly not being fooled.

"I wanna go outside." She sighed and looked at the window. "Aunt Kenna won't let me."

"Hmh.." Ethan placed one hand on his chin and the other on his hip as though he were deep in thought.

It was a hilarious scene to watch him interact with Emily.

After a minute, he hopped and clapped both hands startling both Em and I.

"What if..." He smiled mischievously, "what if, I could fix that, would you smile for me?"

Her eyes widened at the possibility of what Ethan was proposing. She already looked happy.

"Yes!" She said in what I assumed was supposed to be a scream but failed due to how weak she felt.

"But it has to be a secret okay. Aunt Kenna can not know and neither can mommy." He whispered.

She giggled. "Okay." And whispered back.

"I can hear you, you know." I said and heard terrible fake gasps around me.

It took everything in me not to laugh at the fake terrified expression Ethan had on.

"Oh no baby, what do we do?" He turned to her.

She looked up at me and made those puppy dog eyes that had me at her feet.

"Fine. I won't tell Aunt Kenna only if you're careful enough."

"Yes mommy. I promise." She genuinely smiled and I couldn't thank Ethan enough.

***
Ethan and Emily had arranged to go out tomorrow after Kenna had done her regular check-up.

Of course Kenna knew Emily was going out, I couldn't risk anything.

"... So the diet, the exercise and constant bed rest would be all you'd need to worry about for the next four months." Kenna said.

I'd been in her office for a while now discussing the next steps towards the transplant.

Emily needed to stay in the hospital for at least three more days before she could go back home.

Apparently her body wasn't fit enough for the transplant, so Kenna had come up with a strict diet and some exercises she needed to engage Emily in for the next four months, with my help of course.