Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.

Dedicated to ZiniaB13.
"Where's the fun in life without diamonds??" Preach!!

One week.

One fudging week.

That's all what was left for Emily's heart transplant.

And yes, I totally forgot to mention, I. Am. Freaking. Out.

As I walk towards the hospital building with Emily in tow, it doesn't escape me how they already had the Halloween decorations up.

Emily didn't seem too keen about the idea of this particular holiday either.

Growing up with a weak heart, having a day dedicated to scaring the daylights out of you and possibly giving you a heart attack, didn't help much.

I walked straight past reception and into the elevator with a travelling bag in one hand and Emily holding the other.

We made our to the floor of Kenna's office and walked towards her assistant who let us know she'd been expecting us.

"There's my favorite baby," Kenna beamed as I opened the door and let Emily walk through at the same time placing the bag at the side.

Emily rushed behind Kenna's desk and lifted her arms up as an indication for Kenna to set her on her lap.

"Hi, aunt Kenna." You didn't need to be the smartest person alive to know my baby wasn't particularly excited about being here.

"Come on sweetheart, cheer up for me would you? After all, I am your favorite aunt who though her life is potentially endangered by chocolate, still managed to get you some Snickers." She squealed in a comic way causing Emily to jump in excitement and attack the piece of chocolate from Kenna's hand.

I wouldn't blame her cave man actions though, she hadn't seen any form of dessert in the past four months. Well, except for the occasional times Ethan gave her ice cream. Let's keep that to ourselves for now.

"It seems I'm in the background when both of you are concerned," I pouted.

"Oh shush right there." We both laughed. "I'm glad you're on schedule, her room is ready as well as her private nurse." She informed.

Apparently, Emily has to be admitted a week before the surgery for close monitoring and administration of some medicines to make sure she is ready before, during and after the operation.

"That's good. I'll just head down to make the initial deposit then." I told her and we both frowned.

As well off as I thought I was, a heart transplant was quite expensive.

Emily's total came up to $1.4 million. Her initial deposit came to a close sixty two thousand dollars which had me knocking on every insurance company's door I could lay hands on.

It was just my luck that my insurance company's health policy only covered minor surgeries and cases. Fudging lucky.

So yeah, I was left to find the money on my own. I'd been tempted several times to cash some out of Emily's college funds and even Ethan had noticed how edgy I had become when spending money.

I was grasping at what I could get.

I currently had the initial deposit with me, which included contributions from my parents and Kenna alongside some other staff members who knew me personally. Let's not forget the emptying of all my accounts. The only thing left were Emily's school funds.

Strangely, Dan had offered to help but Liv had stated they were running short of money and needed to start saving for their future family. Of course, I understood her point, I just couldn't help feel uneasy about it.