Chapter 23; Time.

"The difficult part is waiting..." we can all testify to that.

In life, we wait for various things. In school we wait for test results, exam results, admission letters and so on.

When you've graduated, you go for interviews then wait for that call or email which says you've been accepted.

Sometimes you go for lunch and have to wait for a friend to come meet you before you begin eating.

We wait for a lot of things in our lives. We wait for vacations, wait for our crush to like us back, wait for our parents to come back from work and some people go through the pain of waiting for their test results from the hospital.

You have to wait before knowing if you have that tumor or cancer of if you're going to die. You really can't do anything at that point but wait.

That's exactly what I was doing now.

I was waiting.

They had been twelve hours into the surgery, and even then, I realized patience wasn't my strong suit.

My mom and dad were both asleep while Ethan and I kept on staring at the glass wall as though waiting for a doctor or nurse to screw up.

Kenna was in there assisting Dr Yuvraj, the surgeon in charge.

"If your heart keeps beating like that, you'll also need a heart transplant." Ethan cooed into my ear.

My head had been firmly planted on his chest for the past twelve hours and neither of us had said a word.

"I'm scared," I finally admitted.

He held me closer to himself.

"You shouldn't be. She's already scared enough for both of you. You should be strong for her."

"You're right."

"Aren't I always?" Though I wasn't looking at him, I could feel his smirk.

"Has your ego always been this big?" I rolled my eyes.

"It gets bigger every single day I look at you and realize you're mine." His tone had become serious.

I knew he was being honest.

"I love you." I told him earning myself a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you Kendra. So much. I can't possibly tell you how much." I smiled and we both fell into silence.

"Tell me something." I said after some minutes.

"Like what?" He answered.

"Anything."

"I really can't seem to find anything." He chuckled.

"That night on the rooftop, our first dinner together, I remember, you said you broke up with your ex because she was after your money. Tell me about her." He tensed.

"You want to talk about my ex girlfriend while Emily is in there?" He pointed at the glass.

"Yeah." I simply said.

"If you say so, but you're telling me about your dream this morning plus, your ex too."

"That's not even fair." I poked his chest.

"Deal?"

"Ugh! Fine. Deal."

"Good." He paused. "Her name is Natasha. We kind of grew up together. Her mom and my step mom are really good friends. At the time, 18 years old, I thought she was the only constant thing in my life. She looked at me differently, unlike the others. I wasn't some kind of god who was always perfect to her, I was her goofy friend who screwed up a majority of the time. I was in love with her, well, I thought I was. She always demanded gifts, my credit card and some stuff I really hate to remember. I gave her everything because I thought that's what you do for someone you love. When I was 20, her family went bankrupt." He sighed.