Chapter 26; Lifeline.

"A line to which a drowning or falling victim may cling." By the dictionary.

KENDRA'S POV.

I had been out of the hospital for a day now.

I hadn't found the strength in myself to go upstairs.

The living room was already enough torture for me. I couldn't bear to climb those stairs which would probably lead to my utter demise.

I had told Grace and Sylvia to leave, there was no baby for them to take care of after all.

Sylvia had cried and apologized for my loss and left early this morning.

Grace on the other hand was stubborn to let me go.

"I was here the very moment you stepped into this house with Emily in your arms, I'm not leaving until I'm sure you can move on without her in your arms." She had said.

She was one of the few who understood what Emily truly meant to me.

My world revolved around her entirely. She was my world.

I sighed and turned on the couch only to end up falling on the floor.

"Ma'am," came Grace's concerned voice.

"I'm fine Grace." I spat, annoyed at the couch for being too small for me.

"I think you should go to your room and get some sleep ma'am." She told me as she picked up the duvet and pillows which had dropped to the floor.

Both my parents and Grace knew I hadn't had any sleep since Emily passed.

Unless I was unconscious, my eyes stayed wide open.

"I can't sleep and going upstairs isn't an option." I told her.

I hadn't cried for the past two days. My parents were very concerned and alarmed my former therapist.

Yet, I wasn't having any of it.

If I wanted to mourn my daughter, I had the right to do it in any way I pleased whether it be healthy or not.

"You didn't touch your dinner last night, but it's okay. I made breakfast, I'll-" I stopped her mid sentence.

"I'm not hungry." I stated.

I watched a tear roll down her cheek as she watched me struggle to make the couch comfy.

"You're killing yourself Ma'am. Emily wouldn't want you doing this to yourself."

I scoffed and stood to my feet.

"I'm sorry I didn't get the memo that said you now communicate with the dead. No one knows what Emily would want, so all of you should just stop bullshitting me. My daughter is dead, if I decide not to eat or sleep, it's none of your fucking business. If you really care and want to help me, then bring my daughter back." I paused when my I realized my parents had stepped in and both had looks of shock painted on their faces.

"None of you can bring her back. None of you can help me." I spoke defeated and glanced one last time at Grace's tear stained face before entering the guest bathroom by the kitchen and locking myself in.

I leaned against the door after making sure it was latched.

I waited for the tears, prepared for it even, but nothing came.

Sighing again, I made my way to the sink.

I used the spare toothbrush to brush my teeth. I didn't bother to look at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't care to see how sunken my eyes were or how pale I looked.