Chapter 25; Pain.

"Numb, broken and defeated..." by N. J

ETHAN'S POV.

I witnessed my father lose himself when my mom died when giving birth to my younger sister.

It was hard for him.

He lost his wife and a child.

I was only six at the time. I thought it was really painful to lose my mom all because of a sister I never got see.

I had blamed the dead baby for taking my mom away from me.

At some point, I even blamed my father for getting her pregnant again.

It was twisted, believe me.

And I was in a lot of pain.

But...

Right now, watching Kendra scream and push me away while blaming me for Emily's death, tore me apart.

She didn't even want to see my face, talkless of hearing my voice.

I tried to understand her, I really tried but it really hurt to be blamed for something no one had control over.

I heard the faint sound of someone sobbing and rounded the corner to find Kenna perched by the wall and crying her eyes out.

Oh I forgot to mention, yeah, Kendra blamed us both for Emily's death, seeing as Kenna advised and prepared Emily for the surgery, she was obviously a target.

I sighed and sat on the floor beside her.

I really didn't know what to do, this wasn't a man's forte.

Well, unless that man was me and the person crying was Kendra.

God, I'd do anything for her.

I love her so damn much, it was unnatural.

"If I am this h-hurt," she began, "I can't even begin to imagine what Kendra is going through."

It's true. Emily was her everything.

I even felt jealous of Emily sometimes. She held all of Kendra's attention and her heart.

After Kendra went unconscious, the doctors seemed to be confused of what exactly was happening.

She was grieved, yet her whole body seemed to shut down.

Her brain wasn't cooperating at all and neither was her heart.

It was like she was giving up.

She did wake up at one point, but that was a terrible moment for me.

She blamed me, didn't want to see my face and I was thrown out because she almost experienced a cardiac arrest.

She did same to Kenna, hence why we were both in a corner in this empty corridor.

"She'll get over it soon..." I whispered to her trying to convince myself more.

"Soon could be in two years..." she chuckled sadly and my eyes widened.

Kendra bore a lot of scars but she was the kind of person whose wounds took a very long time before they healed and turned into scars and even then, the scars traumatized her just as much as the initial wound.

"You should try and talk to her again, she loves you and would probably listen to you." She whispered.

Hope.

"Thanks Kenna. You're a good friend to Kendra, this isn't your fault."

"I know." She smiled.

Kenna was beautiful, I'll admit. She looked like a nerd who always kept her nose buried in books and at the same time she had the face and physique of your typical cheer leader.