Chapter 35; The Police.

"The ones who betray you best are the ones who were the best of friends." By Ndalle Joy.

Ethan and I had been at the NYPD for the past two hours.

I was still in shock and he, well, I didn't know how he was taking it.

Few minutes later, I was moved into a questioning room.

"We are so sorry Dr. Wilson, this is part of the whole procedure." The officer who had been talking to Ethan when I arrived spoke.

"It's okay Officer, I understand."

"Please call me James." I only nodded.

He gave me a little fatherly smile. He looked around his early fifties and he seemed to be rocking it well.

"Okay, so on the 26th of December, the remains of Daniel Cross were found at a lake around the outskirts of the city." He spoke and moved a few photographs over to me.

I held my head high and refused to look down at the gruesome photos.

"It took us a while and a lot of DNA tests to get his identification as you can see, he was- uhm dismembered."

Dismembered, was a nice way to put it.

Dan was chopped, burned and dumped.

It was horrid.

"We sent a search team out yesterday, to search the area he was found, and one of our people found his phone. Fortunately, our tech team could still retrieve the erased data. The last person he called was, you, Kendra Wilson."

I only nodded.

"But what baffled my team was, that call dated since the month of November. So we had forensics take a look, and guess what, Daniel was poisoned and had been dead at least a month and two weeks back."

I only nodded again.

"Approximately around the period of time when he made his last phone call, which was to you."

"What are you getting at?" I stated.

"Don't worry Dr. Wilson, we are aware you didn't kill Mr. Cross yourself, we just think you might have been an accomplice." He folded his arms and leaned back in his seat.

"What?!" I screamed.

"Calm down Doctor. We were made aware that Mr. Cross was in a relationship with your best friend Miss Olivia Jones, is that correct?" He asked.

"Yes."

"And when was the last time you saw your friend?"

I thought back to the last time I saw Liv.

The last time I saw her was a week before Emily's surgery where we went on a shopping spree.

"Roughly around the end of October." I replied.

"And was that also the last time you spoke to her?"

"Yes."

"I am sorry Dr. Wilson but we find it hard to believe you weren't in contact with your friend throughout the period of time when you lost your daughter and fell into mourning. Also, roughly around the same period of time when your daughter had her heart transplant, miss Olivia had cashed out a very hefty amount of money from Mr. Cross' bank account."

I stilled.

"According to our reports, the payment of your daughter's surgery was confidential and paid in full amount. We can't ignore that."