Chapter 8: Night of Us Two

Arriving at my house is just the beginning of my torture. Tense as I was, I enter the house with her. I check the fridge and saw curry. I also saw a letter with an envelope. I pick it up and read what it says.

Hi there son. Your father and I are going to Nagoya. We are to visit your grandfather because of an urgent matter. Please watch of the house while we are away. We left some money on the envelope for you to have food for about one whole week. There is a curry at the fridge just heat it up with the microwave. Take good care son.

-Mom

Yui ask me where to put her things. I told her to have it at my room. As Yui go upstairs I heated the curry and set up the table. I heard a distinctive scream at my room so I rushed upstairs to see what happen.

'Wow your room looks so amazing. It is like an art studio!' Yui said in amazement.

'I thought something happened that's why you screamed. I nearly trip as I run upstairs and this is what you're going to say!?' I said.

'Oh don't be like that. I just complimented your room and I got scolded in return. Haruto you idiot', she said sounding upset.

'I'm sorry. That was my bad', I replied.

Yui looks away and denied me.

'Wait haven't you seen my room already?' I asked.

'Last time I couldn't properly look at it and besides the art materials weren't there before', she replied.

Yui sulks. Suddenly, I heard her stomach crumbles.

'I guess you're already hungry', I said.

She heads downstairs.

"Oh shut up. Let's just eat', said Yui stingily.

We sit at the table and eat dinner together. It felt uncomfortable at first. I still feel nervous about being with her alone in our house. But I got used to it as I watch her enjoy the curry that mom made.

'Haruto, your mom's cooking is really delicious. I'm guessing that you learned to cook because of her', said Yui.

What she said reminds me the time when we had lunch together at the classroom. It felt really embarrassing. Yui is talking to me but I was lost in thought.

'HA-RU-TO! You still haven't touched your food yet', said her.

I was startled as she raised her voice so I dropped my spoon.

'I'll get it', said the both of us.

I look down to get it. As I did, my hands touch Yui's. We look at each other blushingly. After a brief moment of silence I took my spoon, put it in the sink and get another one.

'Sorry about that', I said.

'No... It's okay. We're assigned together so I guess it's normal', said her shyly.

This side of her is kind of weird. She usually clings to me so I don't see why she seems embarrass about it. After eating I clean up the table. I was about to wash the dishes and she volunteer to help. We wash the dishes together. The blinding silence made me feel awkward. Plus she still looks uneasy after I touch her hand. I was desperate to start a conversation and thinking of any topics for us to talk about.

'Uhmm...'
'Well...'

We spoke synchronizing.

'You first', I said.

'No you first', said Yui.

'Okay... I'm thinking of other things to I could do to and submit at the contest. If nothing comes to me I guess I'll just use your portrait. That is if you're okay with it', I said