Chapter 17: Our First Encounter

It all started at my first year in middle school. Being at a bigger school and meeting new friends is something I felt exciting about. At the very first day, it is the day of entrance ceremony. We were at the gymnasium and listening at the speaker. I was looking for some girls the same grade and hoping I could make friends with them. I didn't understand anything the speaker said so I didn't know what to do. I went to my classroom feeling so nervous.

After sitting, the teacher told us we're going to have our seat plan. The teacher selected our seats and made us sit down. I was happy to be surrounded with great looking girls. It made me feel excited again. Our teacher now asked us of who could be in charge of the classroom duties. We look around hoping someone would represent them self for it. Then I noticed a boy in front of me slowly raising his hand.

'I'll do it'

'Then Nazuno-kun it is', said the teacher.

I felt relief not being called. I did classroom duties before and it sucks to always be left in the room erasing the board, watering the flower and doing many other classroom chores. What Nazuno-kun did caught my curiosity. After sometime, our lunch bell rang.

'Hey you're Chiaki right?'

A classmate of mine approached me.

'Yeah that's me', I answered.

'My name is Sayori. Mind if we invite you to have lunch with us?' said her.

'Of course why not', I said as I agreed.

Sayori introduced me to her childhood friend Tachibana. The three of us eat our bento together. I look at Haruto and he seemed to be eating alone.

'Hey Chiaki what are you looking at?' asked Sayori.

'Oh it's nothing', I said.

We continue eating our lunch while chatting about ourselves. The lunch break ended. Teacher said the instructions and repeated some rules from the gymnasium. After that we were sent home. Sayori, Tachibana and I decided to go home together since we are going in the same way at some point. Before we do, I look at what Nazuno-kun is doing. He is erasing the board.

'Hey Chiaki let's go now', said Sayori.

We all went home together. While walking I still wonder why Nazuno-kun volunteered to do those chores. I thought the curiosity will go away after sometime. I spent every day with Sayori and Tachibana. Sometimes I will look at Nazuno-kun to catch a glimpse of what he's doing. If he's not writing on his notebook he's either, eating by himself, sleeping at his desk or doing classroom chores. It's like that for a few months now.

'Hey Chiaki', said Sayori.

'Do you have a thing for Nazuno-kun?' she asked.

'What!? O-Of course not', I said.

'We thought you had a thing for gloomy looking guys. You were always looking at Nazuno-kun. That gave the idea', said Tachibana.

'No I don't. It just... I'm curious', I said.

'You're curious of what exactly? Curious if she has a girlfriend?' said Sayori.

'NO!!! Geez stop kidding around', I said.

Sayori and Tachibana laughed trying to make fun of me.

'Don't worry Chiaki. If you like him we'll support you', said the both of them.

'Would you two stop?' I said.

'Okay, okay we'll stop', said the both of them giggling.

I look at Nazuno-kun wondering if he heard us. He's just writing something in his notebook again. Later that day, we are about to about to left school.