chapter 62

Lauren stared down at her lap. Today was the day Lauren would go to her mom's for dinner. She looked over at the person next to her.

"Thanks for coming with me Jai." Lauren smiled at him.

"No problem Laur, now lets go before your mom thinks youre no longer coming." They both got out of Jai's car.

Lauren stared at her family's house. The atmosphere seemed very diffrent. She grew very nervous. Lauren longed for Camila by her side, but they havent talked since since they both had sex (3 days)

Jai grabbed her hand and together they walked up to the doorstep. Lauren reached over and rang the doorbell.

"Lauren." Clare smiled when she saw Lauren. Tears formed in her eyes as she pulled Lauren into a hug. She pulled away and took a long look at her. "You've grown so much," She then turned to Jai. "Jai.. you've grown too. Such a handsome boy." Clare eyed Lauren.

Lauren's mom invited them in. The smell of various foods hit Lauren's nose, she felt at home.

"Mom, why are there 2 extra plates?" Lauren heard Chris call from another room.

His voice was much deeper than Lauren remembered.

Clare monitoned for them to follow her. "Lauren and her friend are joining us."

Chris' eyes met Lauren's. They burned into her soul.

"Hi.. Hi Chris..." Lauren said softly.

Chris turned to Jai and shook his hand. "Hey, I'm Chris."

"I'm Jai." Jai smiled.

Chris looked over at Lauren and walked the other way.

"Lauren?"

Lauren looked over her shoulder, her eyes instantly widening. "Taylor."

Her younger sister ran to Lauren, quickly gageing her into a hug. "Its been so long."

Lauren cried into her sister's shoulder. "I know TayTay. I'm so sorry."

"So it's true."

Lauren pulled away from the hug. It was now her Dad.

"Dad." Lauren said quietly.

"Lauren." He repeated.

"Dad!" Lauren ran to him this time, now hugging him.

"I've missed you Lauren."

"I missed you too Daddy[af]" Lauren inhaled his scent, heavy colonge.

"Come on guys, time to eat." Clare called.

They soon gathered around the table. They all had lots of questions for Lauren.

"So Lauren, is this your boyfriend?" Mike asked.

"Uh, no. Jai and I are just friends." She told them, chuckling a bit.

"Besides she has Camila." Jai chimed in, smirking.

"Camila?" Taylor raised her eyebrow. "Cabello?"

Lauren nodded.

"I thought you hated her."

Lauren shrugged. "Over time we connected."

"Then why isnt she here?" They asked.

"We're kinda not talking now...." Lauren trailed off. Her eyes met Chris' again.

"Why are you here Lauren?" Chris dropped his fork, giving Lauren all his attention. "We're just bullshitting here."

"Langauge Chris." Clare warned. "And what are you talking about?"

"We're all just talking with Lauren like she's been with us all the whole time. Lauren youre wasting your time. Go the fuck home."

Lauren looked down not knowing how to react.

Despite his family's looks, Chris went on. "You didn't want anything do with us then, we don't want anything to do with you now."

Jai glances over at Lauren who was fighting back tears, but her save remains emotionless.

"You're right." Lauren agreed. "I was a bitch these whole years, I didn't really expect a warm welcome.. hell I didn't even really want to come."

"Then why did you?" Chris asked earning a kick from under the table.

Lauren shrugged. She couldn't meet her family members gazes. "I don't know. Something told me I should."

Everything went silent after that. Nobody knew what to say.

"Well we're glad you're back Lauren." Taylor smiled at her sister.

"Some less than others." Chris mumbled, playing in his food.

"That's enough out of you Chris." Clare scolded her son.

After dinner, Lauren stayed behind to help clean up.

"So.. tell me more about Camila." Her mom engaged a conversation while they were washing dishes.

Lauren sighed as she scrubbed a plate. "I... I don't know where to begin. Her and I just have been in a lot of shit together."

"You miss her don't you?"

"A lot."

"Then why don't you tell her that?" She asked.

"I don't know... i guess I'm just scared."

"Scared of what?" Clare smirked knowing she was getting somewhere with her daughter.

"Of getting hurt again." It hit Lauren when she finally realized what she said.

The only thing keeping her from Camila wasn't Austin or Jai, it was her. She's been the one that keeps pushing Camila away. No one else, but Lauren.

"Thanks mom." She smiled at her mother.

Jai soon told Lauren they had to go. By the end of the night, Lauren was actually happy that she came to see her family. Even though only one member didn't feel the same way.

"Bye Lauren. Hope to see you again." Her mom hugged her.

"Nice seeing you big sis." Taylor smiled up at her.

"You too little sis." Lauren grinned, riffing up Taylor's hair.

"Aye! I'm not that little!" She protested.

"Bye dad." Lauren said moving on to the next person- her father.

"See ya later kiddo." Mike patted her shoulder and gave her a quick hug.

Then it all came down to Chris- who had his hands shoved in his pockets, and looked down at the ground.

"Bye Chris." Lauren said softly and was about to walk away.

"Wait-" Chris stopped her. He walked over to his sister and gave her a tight hug. Since he was much taller than her, she got lost in his armpit. "Hope to see you around."

Lauren pulled away smiling. "Thanks Chris. You too."

She said goodbye to her family one last time before getting into Jai's car.

"So... How'd you like it?" He asked.

Lauren shrugged." It didn't go as bad as I thought it was."

"Your sister's hot." Jai smirked. "How old is she?"

Lauren reached over and smacked Jai in the arm. "Not old enough for you- take my brother."

"I mean, he's hot and all-..."

"Weirdo!" Lauren laughed along with Jai.

Lauren felt her phone buzz beneath her. Camila was calling. She sighed staring at the screen. She slid her finger over the button before putting her phone to her ear.

"Hello?" Lauren answered.

"Hey..."