Twenty-Two

-Keith-

I look at Shiro as he shakes his head.

"Keith, that kind of mentality almost gone Nat killed," Shiro says

"I'm sorry that I was stuck in the middle of a fight and couldn't get back." I defend "I know we don't want the Galra following me. If they find Nat, we're done for. Besides, we both know that Nat can handle things by herself."

"Not anymore!" He says, shaking his head

"What does that mean?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows

"Because you weren't there, the commander was able to overpower Nat!" Shiro yells "She lost her arm because she was alone and overpowered!"

I look at him as my eyes widen. I shake my head as I look at the ground.

"She almost died Keith! All because of your recklessness!" He yells "None of us were able to get to her!"

I gulp as I try to process everything that is being said.

"W-where is she?" I ask

"Where do you think she is?" He hisses

I turn to leave the room and run towards the med bay. I hurry in and see Coran as he just looks at me with a sad look as he turns away.

I walk over to the only healing pod that's currently being used and set my hand on it.

I look at Nat's dark hair all neatly braided.

"This is my fault," I whisper

"Look who finally decided to show up," Lance mumbles as he walks into the healing bay "Do you even know what happened to her? Do you even care?"

I turn around and roll my eyes as I look at Nat, my hands clenching into fists.

"I know what happened. Shiro told me..." I growl

"You not being there happened!" Lance breaks "That mission where you two were supposed to gather the information together? You missed it and it resulted in her almost dying!"

I look at him and shake my head.

"Nat can handle herself. She shouldn't need somebody there to help her." I start "She's a strong girl that doesn't need constant protecting like you guys try to give her. Well didn't need it..."

"Why don't you stop acting like you care about her and actually show it?" Lance says

I look at him as I feel the anger start to set in.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I yell "I've always cared about her! Who was there for her when James was bullying her? Who was there after Shiro disappeared? I was the only one that actually cared about her, the only one that liked her for who she was. Not just because of who her brother was."

"But now? You are never there anymore Keith! You don't see her every time she comes back from something and sees that you're not here. You don't see how hurt she is every time you leave without telling her goodbye." He says "You don't see the heartbreak she goes through every day when you don't show up for something that you said you would. You didn't see how weak she was after this last mission. She needed you, Keith! Yet you weren't there! That's definitely showing her how much you "care"."

"I know that Nat can protect herself. She doesn't need me every single time we go out." I yell "She's proven time and time again that she doesn't need me in her life. And you're obviously okay with her being alone like this since you have no chance with Allura with Zarkon after us."