Chapter 1

So this is my life.

If you had asked me six months ago if I thought I had a pretty decent grip on things, I would have bet my life on it. I mean, everyone has those moments where they questioned the meaning of life and everything, but ninety percent of my life was in order. I was dating my best friend, I lived in a fabulous flat in the most coveted part of town and I rubbed elbows with the "A-Listers" of entertainment industry on a daily basis thanks to my position as a PR associate for the largest label on the New England coast. I got in to all the official parties and a good deal of the private ones. Seriously, there had been times where I wasn't able to make it to a party, and the host postponed it. I would plead and beg them not to cancel, of coarse, telling them I will just make sure I am at the next event, but they insisted. What can I say? They know how valuable I am for their label. When I show up, things have a way of blowin' up.

But I digress, back to the story.

Who would've thought that night eight months ago, that everything would have snowballed me into this situation? That I would be driving like a mad woman through the city praying to the powers that be that I will make it in time? I was supposed to have resigned myself and gotten over it, but here I am going out on a limb and taking a real risk.

I let out a scream for what seemed to be the thousandth time because yet another wayward driver has decided to cut me off. I sped around them accelerating faster spiting out an explicative so colorful that it would make a sailor blush. To my surprise, the driver of the car was this little old lady who's eyes where as big as the moon!

I felt absolutely horrible and on the verge of tears as I quickly returned my attention to the road. When I glanced once more at the lady in my rearview mirror and saw instead a defiant finger taunting me! My tears dissipated in a fit of hysterical laughter, my guilt decreasing by the second and I felt positive that I would be her in a few years at my current rate.

I veered onto the highway ready to fight traffic for the next four miles to the exit for the airport, but it was a ghost town.

"All right!"

I immediately mashed the gas and felt the satisfying thrust forward then glanced at the dash.

"2:52"

Up until now, I had been able to avoid making eye contact with it; however, I needed to know how I was making out on time. The flight was on time, scheduled to depart by 3:12. My life momentarily collapsed when I realized that I might not get there in time and so I mashed the pedal further into the floor causing my heart to stop when the car tried to skid out of control. I wrestled the steering wheel for what felt like the second longest 5 seconds of my life. Now granted that may have been more than five seconds, but you get what I mean.

The sign appeared on my right.

Logan Airport ½ mile.

I careened onto the exit ramp scaring yet another old person. What is with me today?

Screeching to a halt at the door, I glanced at the dash again before jumping out.

3:04.

I catapulted over the hood like people do in those cheesy action movies I somehow came to love in recent months while simultaneously launching my key at the valet.

"Wait! Miss!" He called over the commotion. "You forgot your voucher!"

"No time!" I yelled not sparing even a second to glance over my shoulder. I then heard what sounded like heavy footsteps behind me. Was he chasing me?

"Last call for American flight 432 to Chicago, now boarding at Gate C 3."

"No! FUCK!" I picked up the pace ignoring the stares that tried to burn through me.

I reached the security gate. There was a huge line of people waiting to get through.

I came to a dead stop. No, please!

My life was starting to fall out from under me and I almost collapsed right there, but then I remembered that I had just gotten my TSA clearance pass. I searched for the frequent flyer entrance and to my relief no one was there and I picked up speed again sprinting through the entrance only pausing long enough to scan my card and phone.

I was about to dash off again when a familiar voice called out again. "Miss!" I turned to see the young man I had thrown my keys to. He was covered in sweat and gasping for air. "Your. Key. Voucher!"

I stared at him a half-second too long before snatching it out of his hand and pounding through the checkpoint. At least I managed to get out a thank you, I think.

I was about a hundred feet away from the gate when I saw them about to close it. "Stop! Wait for me!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

The two gate attendants jumped, looking around bewildered before one of them spotted me coming toward them like an out of control freight train. Thank goodness they recognized me. I once again slowed down only just enough to scan my phone. "Thank you! I owe you huge, for this!" I said to them as I disappeared down the gangway.

Seconds later, I took my seat in first class. I was a hot, sweaty, panting mess and could only imagine what I looked and smelled like to the man sitting in the recliner next to me.

"Just made it!" He said smoothly, a grin plastered on his face. "It's a good thing, too, or you would have missed out on sitting next to me." I was too busy trying not to die to even respond to him, but that didn't matter at all. "My name is Michael. What is yours?"

I stared at him incredulously between gasps. "What?" Was all I managed to get out and he was about to repeat himself when my guardian angle materialized beside me with a pair of wireless Beats headphones.

"Cutting it close again, Gabe?" She giggled as she held them out to me.

"You have no idea." I managed to say as I took them from her. "Thanks Chris, you are a life saver." I told her then side-eyed the man next to me making her giggle again.

"Hey, Chris is it? I would like a pair of those also please." I heard the man say as I put on the headphones.

"Sorry Sir, that is only for platinum members." Chris told him in her most unapologetic tone.

"Oh, I see- Wait, I'm a platinum member!"

"Did I say "platinum member"? I meant "Super Double Platinum Member"." She told him barely able to keep the laughter out of her voice.

"There is no such thing-" he started to argue."

"Oh, but there is. It is reserved for guests that do not hit on the person next to them with pick-up lines even a high school kid would laugh at." With that, she walked away.

Michael turned beet red, an amazing feat for him given his naturally tanned skin. I turned the sound up as the pilot mentioned the fight could arrive ahead of schedule and the weather was expected to be sunny with a high of eighty degrees. Ahead of schedule would be excellent. I still had the small issue of finding the venue. Chicago is a big city, but at least I had the name of the place. I just hope that it wasn't far from the airport.

I closed my eyes letting a tiny bit of tension ooze out. It was time to play the waiting game now. I drifted off to sleep, my memory traveling back in time to that fateful night as the plane took off.