Chapter 17

If I had thought that I could keep my engagement a secret, I was sorely mistaken. By lunchtime, everyone knew. I was getting text after text of congratulations along with quite a few acknowledgements on social media.

Greg was the least of all pleased.

"Why is it that I have to find out about your engagement via Instagram?"I read the text wincing as I made my way home from Ian's place. I could practically hear the ringing in my ears from him yelling. How was I supposed to know that those girls from the restaurant would tag me with a congratulations message? I said as much and the only reason he forgave me was because I admitted that I didn't remember most of it.

I looked down at the ring on my hand again as I waited for the elevator. The whole situation is still feeling very surreal to me. I mean, granted it has only been two days, but I still don't feel like this is real. I haven't even said anything to my dad yet. He called me yesterday, and I couldn't even bring myself to tell him. It's times like this that I am glad I am only child. If I had a sibling, he or she would have definitely spilled the beans already. I will tell him, I just need sometime.Time for what though? I hadn't the slightest idea.

You know it is because you are waiting for Kai.This thought coming from some deep, dark, corner of my mind and I shook my head violently.

Suddenly the elevator door opened distracting me away from that path of thinking. I stepped inside smiling at the guy standing off to the side then pushed the button for the floor I wanted.

Truth be told, the only person I was really worried about telling was Kai. I knew that I shouldn't feel so concerned over what he might think, but I was nonetheless. The event he invited me to is tomorrow night and I notice that my nerves are starting to fray. What if he already knew? What if Garren told him?

I immediately dismiss that last thought because if Garren knew, I would have already heard from him. I wasn't in the clear yet, however, there were still plenty of hours left in the day for me to hear from that man. Until he cusses me out via text, phone, or facetime, I am in the clear.

I check the time as I exit the elevator a few moments later and see that I have just under two hours before its officially the end the day. My mood gets dampened slightly as I remember the celebratory happy hour that is scheduled to commence at five. Janet managed to convince a dozen or so people to take me out and I will admit that when I agreed to that, I hadn't yet had my morning coffee, something I suspect she knew and took advantage of.

"Gabe!" Says a particularly chipper voice.

I roll my eyes, not because I don't want to talk to her, but because I am tired and I don't want to deal right now, not to mention my head was starting to hurt. I just want my two hours of solitude before I will have to put on my excited face.

"Janet. What is up?"

"Well I was thinking."

Oh here we go.

"We should go to that place you love so much, you know, the one that you were telling me about that had the really good ramen? I figured that since this is such an awesome occasion, that you would want to go somewhere that you would love to go to in stead of somewhere that I chose?" My stomach took the opportunity to do a short gymnastics routine causing me to wince a bit. "Hey, you okay?" She asked suddenly taking a hold of my arm. "You look a little pale."

I closed my eyes suddenly feeling a little dizzy from the way my heart rate skyrocketed. How could I go to that place to celebrate my engagement? Taking a few deep breaths, I opened my eyes to see a very concerned Janet looking at me.