Chapter 11

Being at the Met Gala was everything I imagined it would be, Ian had been correct when he said that everyone would love me. I made so many new connections and met quite a few individuals who shared a common friend or business associate. Everything was still a whirlwind within my mind, but I was able to separate myself from it for the most part.

As the evening went on, I became resolved with what I needed to do next, and that was to find a way to see Kai and tell him everything. Little did I know I would soon come face to face with him.

I was walking through one of the exhibits on my way to the ladies room when I saw them.

I froze at first; I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was almost as if I had caused him to manifest before my eyes. He was wearing a mask, but I would know him anywhere. He was speaking with another man and woman. A woman who looked a lot like the one in the photos I had seen. She was speaking very animatedly about an art piece causing the two men to laugh.

As the sound of his laughter and the others voices reached me, I felt a trill all along my body and I closed my eyes. I wasn't ready to see him so soon, and I definitely didn't want to see him with his girlfriend.

I wanted to turn and make a run for it. His back was toward me, so I would be able to make a getaway, but I had already been holding it for the past hour and wasn't in the mood to locate another bathroom. I could forget about treading quietly as the heels of my stilettos made that impossible. I could only hope that I would be able to glide past at the greatest possible distance from him.

I took in a deep breath then changed my path circling wide close to the wall. The longer I walked, the more certain I became that this was a bad idea. The room was only so large; he was bound to see me. I had to hope that my change in hairstyle would be enough of a disguise as to not garner his attention. I took my hair from behind my ears so that it could cover the sides of my face and I kept my gaze downward.

I glanced up briefly. I was halfway there and he still seemed very much engaged by what his girlfriend was saying.

About thirty feet...

Fifteen...

It looks like you are in luck-

There was a loud gasp that seemed to echo throughout the space. "It's her! Look at that gown! That is amazing!"

I cringe, hard, at the sound of footsteps running in my direction and my shoulders sag in defeat.

"Excuse me, but your gown is AH-maz-ing!" She sang the last word like an angelic choir as she came around to stop in front of me. "I had seen you earlier and thought if I ever got the chance to tell you, that I would. Guys, this is the woman I was telling you about!" She said as she waved them over. "This golden mesh material is divine, and that bodice!" She sighed happily. "I am Seon-Joo, by the way."

"Gabriel." I said simply, the smile I held was getting heavier by the second. I could feel him come up behind me, but he had stopped a few feet away. The uneasiness in my stomach begged me to not turn around to see him, but it was inevitable.

"You see this dress right here Kai? From this moment, this gown is going to be the inspiration for my wedding dress. I know I told you that I had found it already, but-"

Wedding?I suddenly felt very cold inside. It was as if everything had faded away into a vast abyss and I alone remained. My breathing increased as my heart tried to pound its way out of my chest. Against everything, I slowly turn to face him and we stand there for what feels like an eternity just staring at each other. I could still hear Seon-Joo talking, but she sounded far away.