Chapter 5

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I jumped up in a frenzy to look for it. That was a really bad idea. My head felt like it had been used as a piñata.

I fell back onto my pillow once I had located it, yet another bad idea. "Ugh, hello?"

"It's about time you answered the phone!" An angry voice yells into my ear forcing me to hold the phone far away and hold my head together with the other hand.

"Greg? Why are you yelling? The phone just started ringing, JEEZ."

"Chick, this is the fifth time I am calling you! Where are you? You are supposed to be meeting me down at Ray's!"

My eyes snapped open again to look at the clock. "Shit!"

"Ha-ha, you think?" Greg laughed over the speaker, his voice taunting me now.

"I will be there in 30."

"Wait! And who is going to entertain these clients while you get dolled up and travel here?"

"You of coarse!" I yell into the phone from the bathroom.

"Mm, I don't know..."

"Please, Greg? You know you are the only one who can do this for me. How many times have I gotten you out of something?"

"Not as many times as I have gotten youout of something within the past two weeks alone!"

"Greg! Come on! Please? I am in the shower now, so I can't face-time you so you can see how desperate I am right now!" He went silent and I could only hope that he hadn't hung up on me, however, the longer he was quiet the more I started to believe that he had indeed hung up. Several more agonizing seconds ticked by as I shut off the water while exiting the shower.

"Greg-"

"You owe me huge for this missy. HUGE!"

I screamed. "Thank you! I- did he just hang up on me?"

"Thank you so much for doing that for me, seriously. I know I have abused you and stretched the limits of our friendship in recent weeks." I said into Greg's chest as I hugged him around the waist like a small child. "You have been so wonderful."

Greg rolled his eyes. "You can show your appreciation by joining me for happy hour, your treat of coarse." He told me as petted my hair, his voice tolerant and controlled.

I knew very well that without Greg in my life, I would have been fired several times over by now. All these late nights/ early days where starting to catch up with me, and what I needed was a good sleep. Being the assistant to the new VP was turning out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. When I first realized this, I went to Jonathan directly and tried to get my old position back as I was much better with the party scene and event overseeing. He flat out rejected me, of coarse, telling me that the only way I would get out of this position would be to get fired; something that was totally out of the question.

I even had to go out and buy an entirely new wardrobe for all of the business meetings that I had to attend and Greg was so patient with me as I had several meltdowns while out shopping.

"What am I going to do with you woman?" He asked as he placed the empty glass on the counter. "You are starting to put a big ol' wrinkle into my social life. Once again, I had to cancel my lunch date. Lucky for you though, something had come up for Mike as well."

"Really? Oh, honey I am sorry- Wait, Mike? Who's Mike?"

His eyes grew round as he stared at me. "Have you not been paying attention this whole time?"