Chapter 27

"We are here." The woman said as we came to a stop.

I look up from my phone to see we are at a red light intersection. "Where?"

She points to a grand-looking building just ahead about a block down to the right of us. "All right, can I get out here?"

"Sure, that will be $25."

I hand the woman my card and she swipes it and returns it to me a moment later.

I unfasten my seat belt and open the door. "Thank you."

The woman watches as I exit the car. "It was my pleasure, really. I wish you the best of luck!"

"Thank you!" I yell through the window shortly before I take off down the pavement.

I took the opportunity to check the time while I waited for the on coming traffic to subside. It was just after six, and hopefully, I wasn't too late. I felt semi-bad for just showing up like this but all other options lead to an opportunity lost; doesn't it?

The crossing sign lights up, and I took off running again, my feet screaming at me to stop because of the fact that I was wearing heels, but I had to keep going. When I reached the hotel entrance, I came to a stop, my anxiety suddenly going through the roof and my heart threatening to come out of my chest. Through the glass, I could see people wondering around the lobby. Some dressed elaborately, while others where more casual, and more than a few looking as if they could be guests of the bride and groom.

It's now or never Gabriel. Go through the door.

I inhale slowly as I move toward the doors that slide open immediately upon my approach. There seemed to be more people roaming the lobby than I first thought.

I started across the open floor, looking around for anything that would let me know where the ballrooms were and I soon spotted a sign over to my right that read Meeting Rooms/ Ballrooms.

I wanted to run, but settled for a fast-paced walk as I wove my way around people and furniture. The rooms were located down a long hallway and the one I needed in particular looked to be at the very end.

I could see people stopping to greet a man and two women located just in front of the doorway of the room. As I moved toward them, I could see that the man resembled Kai in height and body stature, his father, and he is every bit as handsome as his son in a dark blue tuxedo. The woman next to him dressed in what looked to be a traditional gown had to be his mother; they shared the same smile and eyes.

What am I doing? The thought made me stop in my tracks. I watched them for a moment as they laughed with their guests. It becomes painfully clear that I am about to crash their son's wedding, and for what, my own selfish stubbornness? How could I do this to them? They haven't done anything wrong to me. What if this doesn't work out the way I want it to? Or, even if it did, what if they ended up hating me because I had caused so much embarrassment?

I suddenly became aware of my back tracking down the hall toward the lobby. I was no longer sure that I could do this.

Wanting to get out of site, I ducked down a smaller hallway. It was empty save a few potted plants that were spaced along the wall to my left. On the right side there were two sets of doors with one set located near me and the other set closer to the end. The doors furthest from me were open, the light from within spilling out into the hallway. Thinking I could maybe gather my wits in there, I made my way to the open door, pausing momentarily to remove my shoes. Slowly, the sound of hushed voices made its way to my ears. I started to turn around, but there was something familiar about it. When I came to a stop just beyond the doorway, I was certain whose voice I was hearing.