Chapter 4

We were ten minutes late to the party, and I admit that I was more than a little nervous about Garren considering the lengths he had gone through to get me here. However, I could tell that all was forgiven when he saw me walk through the door. I had entered his private lounge while he was in the middle of berating some- poor soul.

"-She should be here by now!" He was yelling at everyone and no one at the same time. Someone had pointed in my direction, and like a light bulb being switched on, he was instantly calm and all smiles.

"Gabe! You are looking sexy!" He says to me as he makes his way across the room. He holds out his hand as he reaches me and I take it. Kissing it lightly, he then spins me around taking in the full effect of my appearance. "Yes, very nice. Finally things are going to get done like they are supposed to!"

I felt his arm encircle my waist as he carried me off toward a group of people lounging off to the side. I look back over my shoulder and feel relieved when I see Greg trailing behind me. I don't know why, but I was nervous as we approached the group of mostly guys. I almost felt like a woman being marched to the sacrificial slab.

"Gentlemen, this is Gabe, the love of my life." He laughed heartily when I stared at him suddenly, my eyes bigger than my head. "Well, that is at least what I had wanted." He added letting the sentence trail off into the unknown.

The first guy reminded me of Garren; only he was taller and leaner.

"Rob, this is Gabriel, my shinning star, my beacon of light in a sea of incompetence."

The man, Rob, stands to greet me. He is very tall with a muscular build wearing all black making his already handsome features stand out even more. I am all smiles and teeth as I shake his hand.

"Nice to meet you Gabriel." He says in a surprisingly deep voice that causes my heart to jump.

I smile even wider if that is possible. "Lovely to meet you, too, Rob."

"That is enough of that," Garren says pushing Rob out of the way. "Don't let that smile fool you Gabe, you need to watch out for that one."

Rob gave him a look, then winked at me. I giggled. Giggled! Calm down woman. I think to myself. Aren't you unavailable? I silently scold myself. Well there isn't a ring just yet-A part of me whispers. I was finally forced to tear my eyes away as Garren introduced me to the next person.

"This is Chris. She is your equivalent on the west cost." He said to me referring to an averaged-sized blonde woman. She looked like she might have been several years older than me. She was dressed nicely in a white A-line hi-low dress.

She swept her hair to one side as she reached out to take my hand. "So you are the infamous Gabe?" She said with a smile that looked a bit forced. "Garren has said to me on several occasions about how he would simply die if you ever left the business." She said looking me over as if sizing me up.

"Oh? Is that so?" I look turn to look at Garren. "Is that why you went through such lengths to get me here this evening?"

"What do you mean?" Chris asked, her demeanor changing slightly.

"This man sent me a stretched hummer and then flew me here in a helicopter!" I said with all the excitement of a little girl that just got a pony for her birthday.

"What?!" I thought that the woman's eyes were going to fall out of her head. "You made me pay for my ticket!" She said jabbing a finger in his direction.

"Don't be jealous woman!" Garren said as the woman stalked away.

"What was that about?"

"Old news, baby girl." He said as he brought me to stand before the next person he wanted me to meet. "This man right here is my good friend Kai. He just moved here, so you will be seeing him at more of my events in the future."

If I thought Rob was handsome, this man Kai is beyond gorgeous! He grinned boyishly as we shook hands and I could only hope that I didn't look like a complete dork. Is it hot in here?

"Hello, Gabriel, is it?"

I heard him talking, but I was too awestruck to answer, I just stood there like an idiot shaking his hand, all smiles. I usually hate when people say my entire first name, however coming from him, it sounded like a symphony, a glorious melody. Suddenly, an ill placed elbow brought me back to my senses. I looked around to see that Greg had materialized at my side and Garren had disappeared momentarily.

"Yes! That is me, but you can just call me Gabe." I say to him charmingly as I absent-mindedly played with a lock of my hair, coiling it around my finger.

"All right Gabe."

My eyes become slightly bigger if that was even possible. Was that an accent?I was suddenly overcome once again with the giggles and once again, there was an ill placed elbow bringing my back to my senses.

"Greg!" I hissed turning to look at him.

"Are you going to introduce me to your new friend?" He said sweetly ignoring the daggers coming at him from my eyes.

I look back at Kai to see that he is still grinning at me. Oh my, those eyes...I think that I could go on and on about how those eyes were making feel. Yet another elbow and this time I was actually knocked off balance slightly.

"Right! Greg, this is Kai. Kai, this is my BFF, Greg."

Greg held out his hand as he shook back his platinum blonde hair. "Kai? My, aren't you handsome." He said with a huge smile.

Kai laughed smiling genuinely as he shook Greg's hand. Dimples too? Gawd!My legs were threatening to turn into jelly. I tucked one arm under the other as I rested my chin on my fist shifting my weight slightly. I might regret this tomorrow as I cram, but I am so glad I came.

"So, where did you move here from?" Greg said after clearly seeing that I was spellbound.

"Chicago."

"Ah, Garren is from there." I saw Greg look in my direction. I think he was surprised that I was seemingly out of my daze.

"Yeah. We grew up together."

"Really?" I asked as my eyes shamelessly moved over him. I was on the verge of asking another question when Garren rejoined us.

"You putting the moves on my girl here?" He asked Kai as his arm moved around my waist and pulled me closer to him. There was a smile on his face, but he was watching the other man carefully.

Kai held up his hands backing away slightly, still smiling. "Just being friendly that's all." He laughed again and for a moment, I was glad that I was leaning against Garren because my knees had once again turned into jelly. There is no doubt in my mind; the man is quite sexy.

"Uh-huh. Gabe, I need you for a moment." Was all he said before ushering me away; I tried to look at Kai as I walked away, but it became difficult. I did, however, notice the way that Greg was looking at me.

I can see I will be in a Q&A session later.