Chapter 30: final

Never have I been so excited to be returning home after a work trip. Florida is nice and all, but nothing beats returning home to the person you love.

Not to mention the "something special" that Garren told me that he had planned; that is what I am really excited about. I just wish that Kai was going to be back in time, but he isn't due back until tomorrow.

I could feel the plane moving as it descended lower and lower out of the sky. It was mid-afternoon and the sky was surprisingly clear for my flight back. It was raining yet again when I had departed Miami-Dade, and I thought the rains would have followed me back to Boston, but it cleared up not long after take off. While I looked forward to the next visit to Miami that was coming in a few weeks, I decided that I would need to bribe Garren into letting me borrow his financial advisor for at least part of the week if not the entire week.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have already begun our decent and plan on landing at Logan International in ten minutes. Flight Crew, please prepare for landing."

I folded my tray and laptop placing the latter in my bag and stretched a little before refastening my seatbelt. Through the window, I could see the ground moving ever closer and I could now began to make out the cars as they moved in lines that cut through the sereneness of the landscape. In the distance, I could make out the harbor and the open waterways beyond. For some reason, the view brought back memories of standing on a balcony feeling torn as I looked out into the darkness while the man I loved stood only inches away. I fought so hard to stay composed that night, to not be selfish and ruin a life just to find out that he was trying just as hard as me that night.

I walked through the sliding glass door thirty minutes later and onto the sidewalk. I see the taxi stand to my right and watch briefly as several people I recognize from my flight make their way over before I take my phone out of my pocket. Garren said there would be someone here to pick me up, but so far, nothing.

Before I could open the text screen and begin typing, a message pops up at the top of my screen.

"Sorry Baby Girl, there was some extra traffic that caused a slight delay. ETA, 3 minutes."

"I was just about to protest, I thought you were slippin'." I add a laughing emoji as I giggle to myself.

"Don't insult me, woman!" He responds seconds later making me laugh out loud.

"You are silly! I will see you soon." I grab my luggage handle dragging it behind me as I make my way to the taxi stand.

Just as I reached, a black stretched Hummer pulled up from behind and stopped just beyond the taxi stand. I squeaked, jumping up and down while my luggage toppled over onto the sidewalk. All of the people standing at the taxi stand gasped and fawned over it.

The driver climbed out, coming around to face me and opened the door. With a wave of his hand, he beckoned me to come fourth, but I was already running toward him. After three steps I stopped when I remembered my suitcase on the ground.

He smiled widely as he took the handle from my hand. "Good evening Miss Leighton."

I giggled again then ducked my head to get in. At first glance, it looked like the exact same hummer that picked me up the night I met Kai. I climb though the door making my way across the seat so that I could sit by the window. From the corner of my eye, I see a figure sitting at the opposite end along the side.

"Kai!" I scream as I scramble toward him. "I thought you were still in New Jersey!

He laughs at my enthusiasm as he catches me in his arms. Our Lips meet, and suddenly I am no longer tired from the long journey home.