Chapter 8

As it turned out, finding something last minute to wear was way easier than I had thought it was going to be, what a relief. Having a great friend here and there does wonders, though at first, it did look like the evening was not going to go well.

After waiting a short time while Kai changed into his tux, we began my search for an evening dress. Many of the shops were closed and it looked like I wasn't going to make it to the party. Kai was starting to get huffy, which made me laugh, which in turn made him even grumpier. He seemed to be taking this way too personal. After all, I was the one that wouldn't be able to go if I couldn't find something decent to wear. It had been almost an hour; I was about to call it quits and just go as I am, even though I knew I would regret that decision as soon as I entered the building. That was when Kai's phone rang.

When we arrived at a boutique thirty minutes later, the woman there looked as if she had been called back in. My suspicions were confirmed moments later.

"Are you Gabe?" She asked with some confusion, her eyes darting back and forth from Kai to myself.

"Yes, I am Gabe." I said holding out my hand. The look of relief on the woman's face was priceless.

She took it happily. "Oh that is wonderful." The woman said with a beautiful Spanish accent. "I thought Rena was pulling my leg when she asked if I could help her friend Gabe get something to wear tonight. I don't live far from here, but I was actually on my way to my studio. If this were a joke she was going to hear it from me. Then again," she said, as she looked Kai over. "I have helped a few Queens get ready for their revue." She said with a laugh. "I am Carmen, welcome to my boutique."

"Thank you so much for coming back to help us. She was starting to get annoying and pouty."

My jaw dropped as I looked over at him in disbelief, but there was a huge grin on his face. I took a light-hearted swing at him, but he managed to dodge out of reach. Carmen looked at the two of us as if she knew a secret.

"It was my pleasure, I can do almost anything for Rena. Take a look around, whatever you choose is yours."

"Thank you!" I took off around the shop with a giggle.

This was going to be tough, there were so many cute designs and I was finding it hard to make a decision. I didn't want to take too much longer, so I decided to pick five favorites and just try them on when normally I just find it and buy it.

"You have so many wonderful choices here, Carmen! You are making it very hard on a girl, so I am going to need to try all of these." I told her as started toward the changing rooms.

"Here, try this one too."

I turned to see Kai approaching me holding up a long, black dress, it was gorgeous. Not sure how I missed that one. "This is pretty! Wow Kai, I need to take you along with me for shopping from now on."

"I thought Greg was your shopping buddy?"

"He is, but most of the time, I end up helping him shop." I hear him laugh and since I am in the changing room where he can't see me, I allow myself a moment to smile. That sound can be such music to my ears. Well, any sound he makes is music to my ears.

It is really too bad the man is completely taken. I thought wryly

Even if he wasn't, you are, sweetheart.An exasperated voice answered back causing me to scoff at myself.

"This is the one, no need to try on the others." I say aloud as look myself over in the mirrors. "Seriously Kai, you are my new shopping buddy." I twirl around admiring the dress from all angles. It's a floor-length layered black chiffon skirt with an off-shoulder, mid-drift blouse that showed just enough. It really was too perfect.