Chapter 7

"So when will you be back?" Said a voice in a tone just a shade below angry.

I sighed looking up at the ceiling of the car I was in. "I will be back tomorrow night, Ian. This is just an overnight trip. I know we had plans, but David didn't even tell me that I was going until almost an hour ago. I didn't even have time to go home and grab anything. I have to buy something when I get to the airport." I told him feeling glad that I have the company card so that I can get some things and not have to spend my own money.

"They shouldn't be able to do that to you. They should know that you do have a life outside of work."

"Yes, but we have talked about this before. As long as I am the VP's assistant, there will be times that I will need to go out of town suddenly." It was becoming a struggle to keep my voice calm. I understood his frustration, but at the same time, I didn't.

"I had something special planned for the two us."

My eyes went wide wondering if he was going to propose tonight. "W-what?" I asked suddenly on edge as my life flashed before my eyes, my other life that consisted of a tall man with velvety dark hair, eyes I could stare into forever and a smile that only had to slightly appear and it would make me feel weak.

"I wanted us to go out and spend some time together since you and I have been too busy lately to do more than get a word in on the phone. I was going to take you to that restaurant that you were telling me about."

I hadn't realized that I was holding my breath until I tried to speak. "Oh, I would have loved to have gone there today. Sorry." I wasn't sure if I was being genuine or not, I only hoped that he thought I was. "Listen, we can go when I get back. Okay? As soon as I land, I can call you and we can meet there."

There was a pause. "Sure, we can go when you come back." He sighed loudly into my ear. "Gabe, look, I am sorry. It's- it's just that I hardly see you anymore. At least before, I would be able to attend an event with you if I wanted. Now, you always need to go out of town. I guess I am just a little jealous; your boss gets to see you more than I do. I miss you, girl."

"I miss you too." I said quietly into the phone. "Look, I promise that I will try to make sure I have more time for you." I told him glancing out the window. I suddenly see the airport terminal in the distance. "Hey, I have to go now, I just arrived at the airport."

"Ok. I love you. Give me a call when you land so that I know you made it safely."

"I will, I love you too." I hang up the phone as I sigh yet again.

It was after 7 p.m. when I landed at Regan International.

Washington D.C. was starting to feel like a second home. At least this should be the last trip that I have down here for a while. The past three months had been fun and I have gotten to know the team for the office down here pretty well. I even made a few more connections for the nightlife scene.

I stepped out of the taxi and thanked the driver as he closed the door behind me. As I entered the hotel, the man behind the counter put on a huge grin upon seeing me.

"Gabe!" He said excitedly coming out from behind the counter to greet me, his accent causing my name to sound like Gabby. I smiled as he enveloped me in a hug. "I was so happy to see your name on the guest list this afternoon! How are you?"

"Just fine, Jay, just fine. How is the family?"

"Wonderful, Vineet is just starting to crawl." He then went on to fill me in on the rest of his family. "I still cannot thank you enough for helping me that time, you are a true, life saver. Jessica, can you get the key ready for room 626?" He said to the woman behind the counter.