Chapter 16

"This evening has been wonderful! I have my two friends here, my darling son, and my Gabby!" Edna said as she hugged me tightly from behind. After doing several rounds of shots with her two friends, she is now feeling quite merry. I couldn't help but to laugh as I reach up to pat her arm. "Ian, I am so glad that you decided to date her." She says with a smile then she swats him on the shoulder. "How come you haven't proposed yet?"

I go still as everyone looks at him expectantly.

Ian clears his throat. "Well, about that," He begins as he starts to fidget. "I was kind of waiting for a good time, and I guess that time is now." He says as he reaches into the pocket of his waistcoat and pulls out a small, red velvet box, which causes the other three ladies at the table to squeal and clap.

I don't hear any of that though, I don't hear anything, not even the music. There is only the red velvet box that Ian is holding out to me. I look up at him, then at the box. "Is that what I think it is?" I ask even though I already know the answer.I am going to need more tequila.

I sit there unmoving, unsure of what to do. A part of me wants to take the box and open it, but a larger part of me just wants to get out of here and avoid the object in the box and the series of events that will undoubtedly follow. Ian mistakes my hesitation for nerves, or maybe he thinks I had too much to drink? Either way he opens the box and takes out the ring. I can't deny it; it is a gorgeous piece of jewelry. Is that a yellow diamond? I watch him as he takes my left hand in his.

"What do you say Gabe? Will you marry me?" He asked me, hope lighting his grey eyes making them sparkle.

I wanted to respond, I did, but something was stopping me. I looked away from him to his mother and then to the other two women at the table. They were all so expectant and full of excitement as they nodded and winked at me, silently egging me on to say yes.

I can do this, can't I?I ask my self. I should be able to let Kai go and be with Ian, right?I look back at the man sitting next to me and tried to force the words from my mouth once again. Nothing.

"Gabe?" He says, his face falling a bit.

I look down at my hand, it starts to blur slightly from the tears that have gathered on the rims of my eyes. You can do this Gabe. Just say yes. Several more agonizing seconds slip by and I decide to not be so stubborn this time as I let the tears fall. At this point I wasn't even sure of the reason I was crying. Perhaps I was in mourning for what could have been, or maybe it was that I knew that Ian was the one for me and the other one was just a rich, decadent dream. A dream that I need to finally wake up from it seems.

I take a deep breath as I slowly nod my head in answer to his question. Immediately his mother and the two other ladies jumped up and down shouting as several on lookers clapped and gave their congratulations.

Ian slipped the ring onto my hand before taking me in his arms.

"You made me nervous their for a second." He said in my ear before moving away to wipe the tears from my face with his thumbs. I still couldn't bring myself to say anything, so I just smiled. "I love you." He once again brings my face to his. My lips brush against his briefly, more tears fall.

Isn't this supposed to be the happiest moment of my Life?I mean, I thought it should've been, but it just felt wrong somehow. I reach for my glass on the table and bring it to my lips to empty in one swallow. Lucky for me, the waitress was already on her way over with two more rounds, courtesy of the to women with Ian's Mom. It would save me the trouble of going over to the bar, but I think the moment away from everyone would've been for the best. Even if I had convinced myself in the short time to get an Uber back home.