Chapter 15

I parked my car in the garage and started walking to the building entrance. The entire ride back was me going back and forth between excitement and despair. Excited that I would be going with him to Garren's event, but sad because my one sided love was confirmed. I had hoped against everything that he would say that it was me that he loved. Sad, I know, but hoped anyway I did.

My phone rang.

"Hey Ian, I am walking into the building now."

"Well come down to the front, I will be pulling up in about a minute."

"Sure." I say as I change my direction heading toward the stairs leading down to the main lobby.

He came to a stop as he saw me exit from the side door. I opened the door to sit inside.

"Hello, beautiful." He said leaning over to give me a kiss on the cheek.

I gave him a brilliant smile. "Hey! So what is the special occasion?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to take my two favorite women out, that is all." He said this normal enough, but there was a glint in his eye. He was up to something, but I was too distracted at the moment to ask more questions.

"Okay." I fastened my seatbelt and settled in. "May I at least know where we are going?"

"Well that is part of the surprise." He says grinning.

I hum in response as I stare out the window at the scenery as it passes by, but I don't notice it, my mind already in a far off place with a certain someone with shoulder length black hair and almond shaped eyes that turn into half moons when he laughs.

My vision blurs slightly causing me to blink rapidly in an effort to keep renegade tears at bay. There isn't any cold water around that would hide my red eyes if I were to cry now. Not to mention, I didn't wear the waterproof eyeliner today, so it would be a total disaster.

I suppose I should be happy for him, I mean, typically that's the expectation of a friend right? I knew what I was getting into that day almost six months ago now, right? Well, yes and no. I had been very naïve to think that I would become his friend without any attachment. Good lord, I am sure if he had said the word that night at the premiere, I would have been his. How did I get here?I sigh as I blink back another round of tears.

"Gabe?"

I jump slightly at the feel of a hand on my thigh. I look down, and then up at its owner. "Hmm?"

"You okay over there?" He asked me stealing glances as he veered onto the freeway. "I said your name like three times. You feeling ok? You aren't getting sick are you?"

I shake my head a bit animatedly. "No, I am fine." I take a deep breath before continuing. "I was just thinking about work. Now that it's getting warmer, there will be a lot to do in the up coming months." I say hoping that it was believable. "David said there will be a few weeks that we will be down in Washington DC in June and July. I am going to have to apply for one of those TSA passes because I will be flying out more often."

"To DC?"

I nod. "There are also talks of another office in Florida or out in Texas. So depending on which way they go, I will be also going there. We will find out next month. I have incidentally become the face of the company as Jonathan has said." I give a half-hearted laugh.

"Really? That's great! I still can't believe that I am in the presence of a true celebrity, and she is all mine." He reaches over to stroke my cheek. "Between your schedule and mine, there will be times when we will barely see each other." He shook his head. "Will you still have time for me with your new found social status?"