Chapter 21

I stepped off the elevator yawning profusely. I turned, dragging myself down the hall holding the phone to my ear waiting for Greg to pick up. He had only called me 10 times since last night. He picked up suddenly and I had to pull the phone away from my ear wincing because of the noise.

"Hold on!" He yelled and I couldn't be sure if he was talking to me, or to someone else. Seconds later, the phone was quiet. "Hello? Gabe?"

"Yeah-"

"So what happened?" The urgency in his tone was enough to make me laugh.

And boy, did I need to laugh right now.

"So I ended up staying over at the party and was just dropped off by the limo, so I am about to enter my apartment now."

He signed heavily into my ear with exasperation. "Why are you making me wait? Get to the chase woman!"

I filled him in on what happened and told him how I had been nervous for nothing because Kai had already known about my engagement. I decided to leave out the little detail about the two of us sharing a bed and about how wonderfully I had slept with his arms around me though. No need to delve into that can of worms.

"I see." He said stopping short to yell at someone in the background.

"Why are you always yelling at someone at work?"

"I am gay, honey. They expect me to yell and carry on, otherwise nothing gets done around here." I laugh and agree. "So, how do you feel about his wedding coming up so soon?"

"To be honest, I am still not sure how I feel about that. There were so many times last night that I got the impression that he no longer wanted to go through with it."

"Maybe it's like you said, nerves, cold feet. I never told you this, I think you were too busy being fabulous or something, but do you remember that one chick I used to work with that got married last year? Well her husband is the guy I had told you about. You'd remember, the guy who tried to tell me that he couldn't get married, because he was gay. I knew he wasn't, but the point is, people do shitty things when I are trying to get out of something."

I paused considering his words. Could that the case with Kai? "Do you think that is what it was last night then? That he was trying to use me?" It sounded so improbable when I said it aloud like that. "I don't know Greg. He just isn't that kind of person to do something like that, and with me no less."

"Gabe, darling, that is because you are unable to look at it from the outside in like me. I mean seriously, has he given any other indication that he wants to choose you?" He paused to yell to people in the background again. "You've told me before that all he ever talked about was that SoJo person-"

"Seon-Joo."

"Whatever. The point is, Gabe, that unless he shouts it from the mountain top girl, you need to let it- and him, go." I could practically hear him shaking his head and rolling his eyes at me.

I put him on speakerphone before letting it drop onto the bed beside me. I lean forward to cradle my face in my hands as I suck in a breath trying to hold back the tears that seem to come out of nowhere and not being very successful. Part of me knew that Greg was right, but a larger part of me wanted to believe what I saw and felt last night.

"Gabe? Are you still there? Gabe?" He called out to me, the sternness in his tone relaxing a bit. "Look Gabe, I know that isn't what you wanted to hear from me, but the sooner you let go, the better it will be for you." The silence stretched on as I continuously wiped away the renegade tears. "Hey, I have to get going." He said, his voice softer and apologetic. "I'm sorry if I upset you. I love you Gabriel, and I just hate that you are in such a state right now. Are you going to work today? I should be finish with these people around 5:30 or 6. Want to hang out? I can stop and grab some take out and wine before I come by and we can watch movies and veg out."