Chapter22

I woke up at least three times between last night and this morning. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't sleep. I was feeling trapped, then suffocated, then alone and the dream was the same like it had been the past several days.

I am in some type of hotel and I can't seem to find my way. I know where I need to go, but getting there is impossible and slowly but surely, the panic sets in as I realize that I am going to miss it. Just what "it" is, I haven't the slightest idea, but in the dream I feel like my life depends on me getting to that place.

Against my will, I look over at the clock.

04:17am

I sigh for the thousandth time deciding to give up on sleeping and start my day already. Just what did I plan on doing for three hours until it was time to go to work? I had no idea.

I decided the best way to kill time that actually had some benefit, was to clean. With me being so busy and going back and forth between Ian's place and my own, my home was starting to look like a pigsty with random shoes and discarded articles of clothing here and there. My kitchen was a bit scary as well, so that is where I decided to start.

"Alexa, 70's rock please." Aerosmith's 'Dream On' starts as I fill the sink with water and load up the dirty dishes. A smirk appears on my face. How appropriate? Well this will definitely set the mood for today.

Slowly and steadily, my apartment filled with light as the sun rose over the horizon. I looked at the time as I came out of my closet with several hangers.

06:15 a.m.

Time for a bath.I put away the last of my clothes and turned to survey my work. Not a bad way to spend a sleepless morning.

"Can someone get this girl some coffee? And while we wait, tape her eyelids open and find something to prop her head up!"

There was a round of giggles and snickers as Jonathan shook me awake for the third time during the meeting.

"I'll get her an espresso!" Janet says jumping up to run out of the room.

I watch her leave through half lidded eyes. "I am so sorry, Jonathan. Sleep has been really elusive these past couple of days." I decide to take up a spot in the corner against the wall until Janet returns with my espresso. "I have already had two 5-hour energy shots."

"I feel for you, I really do." He says with pity, but his face however told me otherwise. "I tell you what, you can leave at 4:55 today. I won't make you serve detention. How's that?" More snickers and giggles.

I nodded. I couldn't really complain, well actually I take that back, I could. It was only 10:30 and I still had the entire day.

"So as I was saying, this new office, David and the others are hoping to have that location up and running on their own by August 1. I know that feels a little soon in comparison with the timeline for the Washington office, but they are expecting it to take off right away. Thanks to Miss Doze-A-Lot over there and her ability to make friends anywhere she goes, we have a lot of new clients who are ready to go." He said gesturing toward me causing me to smile to cover my embarrassment.

I looked around the room at everyone. Some faces were excited while others looked like how I imagine I did that day so many months ago when I thought that my life was ruined. They were being reassigned as well with two of them being relocated to Florida until almost thanksgiving. I realized that I was thankful for most, if not all that had happened since I was given this position. I had even said as much to Jonathan recently and the man gave me a hug and told me how proud he was of me and then launched an impromptu "I told you so" lecture. The memory of his words brings a much-needed smile to my face as I watch him speak to the two people that will go to the new office. He is telling them the same thing he told me that day minus the threats because neither one of them are that favored by him to be able to push his buttons.