Chapter one hundred and twenty two

"Whilst not the desired outcome, the court has made clear that there is a responsibility upon our federal parliamentarians to amend the legislation and its gaps. The court recognises that my clients are soulmates and my clients would like to make abundantly clear that they will not be commenting on the case or any of its parts in any capacity." Crystal keeps her public statement concise and to the point. She, Michael and Luke had spoken before they went outside, just briefly, which allowed Michael and Luke to slip out a side door into a waiting car.

Luke has his head against Michael's shoulder, unable to think or breathe straight. He has no idea how to cope with this. Michael was trying to distract himself. He instantly texted Jeanette and Calum the news. They both offered all the support they could and even if there was nothing they could do, it made Michael feel a little more comfortable. Until his father texted him.

Steven - Michael: Your mother and I have been in discussion and we have decided that we are unable to welcome Luke into our house for Christmas. Christmas is about family and, given Luke is a child, we feel it would be best if he spent it with his own family. We look forward to seeing you

Michael - Steven: You won't be seeing me

Michael throws his head back against the leather headrest and laughs sickly, he can't think of anything else to do. He wonders if they know about the outcome of the case yet. He wonders if they know how just how truly terrible their timing to deliver this news is.

"What is it?" Luke sniffles, pulling back and looking up at his dom.
"Just my parents being dickheads again." Michael sighs, somewhat contently.
"Why are you smiling then?"
"It's probably for the best, really. They don't want us over for Christmas, but that means we don't have to see them. I wouldn't want them ruining the holiday season." Michael brushes off.
"Oh." Luke frowns. "They don't want us or me?" The younger gulps.
"When it comes to things we do, Christmas especially, there is only an us. I made it clear they won't be seeing me."
"And you're okay with that?" Luke asks sadly.
"Absolutely. I choose my soulmate and my baby every day of the week."

Luke shuffled closer to his dom again, somehow, even though they were already so impossibly close. The rest of the car ride is silent. They're both thinking over so many things. The black car pulls up outside their house and they're quietly thanking the driver before getting out and heading inside.

"So what do we do now?" Luke asks, voice sad and quiet, as they walk down the hallway and let the front door fall shut behind them.
"The court acknowledged that we're soulmates. We know that nothing can tear us apart." Michael replies, trying to stay positive.
"But we don't have a contract. Every other couple has one. We're expected to live without one for eight months. I'm expected to give birth to my child whilst the other parent is not legally my soulmate. I know the court acknowledged we're soulmates, that's great, but until we have the pairing papers or contract; that legally means nothing. Our child will be two or three months old before we're legal!" Luke rambles as they walk up stairs, increasingly stressed and worked up.

"Let's make an illegal contract." Michael says firmly as they both sit down on their bed.
"Wha- no." The younger shakes his head. "I know how bad that will be for your personal image and the image of Scorpion if that gets out. We're not risking it."
"I want to risk it. For you and our little one. We'll still get our signatory witnesses. You can pick who they are. Then we'll lodge it the day you turn 18." Michael insists, holding Luke's hands in his and growing an excited look on his face.
"Are you sure?" Luke bites his lip nervously.
"Of course. I love you. I want this relationship, your birth and the raising of our child to be the most positive experience it can be."
"It's not my birth. It's our child's." Luke giggles.

"Is that a yes?" Michael sighs happily.
"I think I want the witnesses to be my parents... that'll put me at ease." Luke hums, leaning closer to his dom.
"Of course baby, but getting your parents isn't actually legal. You know they can't be blood related." Michael replies, pulling his sub closer.
"This contract isn't legal. I want them for now. By next July I'll know more people and I'll know people better." Luke points out.
"Your parents it is. We'll visit them over the weekend." Michael grins, planting a sloppy and dramatic kiss on the younger's lips. When they pull apart they opt to lying in bed together and watching movies on Michael's laptop. They enjoy the comfort.

Calum - Michael: Do you need anything? A distraction? Help? Dinner? Drinks?

"Calum wants to know if we need anything. Dinner or a distraction or something else." Michael comments after looking up from his phone.
"Maybe we should go out for dinner." Luke considers.
"Are you sure?"
"I think it'll be good. Invite all your friends, invite Crystal, I'll invite all my friends. We'll turn it into a celebration. The court recognises that we're soulmates." Luke smiles.
"It's settled then. We'll have dinner at 7 with all our friends."

They both text around and start getting ready, growing increasingly excited. Luke's bump is protruding a little more and he's excited to use it as an accessory, in court he didn't want to show the paps anything. With his friends he wants to show everything. Maggie and Carla respectfully decline and Sierra and Kaykay are both busy. They're left with Crystal, Jeanette and her husband Oliver, and Calum and Ashton. Luke's a little sad his two best friends both can't make it but he tries to not let it get him down, he knows it's very last minute. He's still excited.

He's bouncing around the house as he gets ready, happily dressing head to toe in designer and petulantly sticking his tongue out whenever Michael laughs or smirks.
"I'm just trying to be happy!" Luke protests.
"And I love that so much baby, it's what you deserve." Michael says reassuringly as he grabs the car keys.
"You do too." Luke pouts, kissing Michael on his way to the garage.

They arrive at the restaurant, the Italian place with Luke's emotional support lasagna, and join their friends. Things feel peaceful. Jeanette and Oliver represented a longer and more stable relationship, happily intertwining and complementing each other. Crystal represented the single ones, just waiting for a soulmate but still not feeling incomplete in the meantime. Calum and Ashton were still in the sickly sweet honeymoon phase, but Michael has a feeling it won't disappear anytime soon.

Michael and Luke were practicing gratitude. They have each other, their unequivocal soulmate, and their baby on the way. Everything happens for a reason and they were trying to remember that, remember how much of a blessing it is to have your soulmate early.
"I feel so..." Ashton starts slowly, looking around the table then finishing on his dom and soulmate, "at ease."

A/N: it's over, bear with me while I cry. Ashton saying the word ease at the end feels real cheesy and I only added it a few days ago so mixed feelings there.

This is the project that really made me know that writing was what I wanted to. It's inspired me. YOU have all inspired me. When I started writing this I had a deep feeling it would be my longest and best fic ever but then it sat mostly abandoned in google docs for seven months and then I just suddenly went gangbusters on it.

Writing this has been one of the greatest joys of my life and I can't wait to share the rest of these characters lives with you, it's far from over.

Every Sunday until I decide to post the sequel I will release something to do with this. Next Sunday it will be the character ask, so you can submit final questions for that all week long, and then oneshots and things.

I want to say the biggest thank you in the entire world to my girlfriend for reading every word of this, even the ones I edited out, and investing in it and loving the characters just as much as I do -if not more.

Thank you to every single one of YOU, you inspire me and motivate me every single day. Your love and comments mean the world to me and I can't put into words how much I appreciate it.

I'm sorry this was so long. Gold star if you read it all. Lots and lots of love from me to you :))))

-Grace Williams xo