Chapter Two - Relocation

"Amity, Amity," Jana Marra said, knocking on her daughter's closed bedroom door. "Amity, baby, you need to get up. I need to talk to you about something."

With a groan and sigh, Amity sat up and rubbed her eyes. "Come in, Mom."

Jana opened the door and crossed the room to her daughter's bed, before sitting at the foot of it. "Baby, you're gonna stay with Granny Lilah for the summer."

"What? Why?"

"Because your father and I are going to Europe for his work."

"Why can't I go too? Aren't I old enough?"

"You are, but your father wants you to go to Granny Lilah's. Besides, you haven't seen her in forever."

Amity rolled her eyes in defeat. "Fine. When an I leaving?"

"I'll drive you up at five."

"Wait, that soon? Why wasn't I given more of a notice in advance?"

"Because your father got the call last night around midnight. I didn't want to wake you up, so I waited until this morning. You're just lucky Granny Lilah was okay with you showing up without a week's notice."

"I wish you had woken me up last night."

"More night terrors?"

"Nightmare. Not terror. I didn't wake up screaming."

Jana smiled and left the room, leaving Amity sitting in her bed, angry at her mom.