Chapter Twenty-one - Huh?

When they pulled away, they were both out of breath, and a bright red blush coated Amity's cheeks as she looked at her feet. "I. . .um. . ."

Derek just smiled and kissed her cheek. "You good?"

She nodded. "You?"

"You were the one who was crying!" He then turned serious again. "But really, are you okay?"

Amity shrugged and pushed her hair from her face. "I guess? I don't know, Derek. I didn't know I was adopted, or a werewolf, and suddenly, I know that, and my real dad. I mean. . .wow!"

He chuckled. "I couldn't imagine. Seriously, I can't believe how well you've held together through all this. It blows my mind."

"Why? Because I'm a girl?"

He shook his head quickly. "Of. . .of course not! Amity, I never. . ."

She just shook her head and giggled. "I'm kidding, Derek. Man, you can't take a joke, can you? But at least I know you really care."

She kissed his cheek and went into the house, making her way up to her bedroom, smiling big.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Amity, I'm back! And I have a surprise for you," Lilah called up the stairs from the main floor.

With a sigh, Amity made her way down the stairs, taking them two at a time. "Yes?"

Lilah smiled, and held up a gray case for something, before nodding towards the study. "Follow me, love."

She did, and watched as Lilah sat the case on the desk, and then went to shut and lock the door.

"Uh, Grandma. . .what's going on?"

Lilah just smiled. "Look inside the case."

She did, before gasping and jumping back. "What. . .why. . .?"

"Honey, it's about time for you to follow in your ancestors' footsteps "

"Meaning?"

"You are going to train to be a werewolf hunter. And I'm gonna teach you how to shoot a bow and arrow. Together, you and I will track down and kill Chris van Gahalin. As Grandma and granddaughter."

"Oh, I, uh. . ." She racked her brain for something, anything to excuse herself. Come on, Amity, think. What can you do yo get out of this situation? Too bad Grandma sent Derek into town. . .that's it!!! I'll tell Grandma I need to text Mom, then I'll text Derek instead! Genius! "I need to text Mom about something."

"Amity. . ."

"You know, Grandma, I promise I'll consider your offer, but I don't really know. You know? I'm a little. . .taken back?"

Lilah nodded and sighed. "Okay, baby. Just sleep on it, but I want to know your answer soon. Okay?"

Amity nodded and excuse herself, stealing to her room and shutting her bedroom door. She then took out her phone and typed as fast as her fingers could.

To Derek: Help! Grandma just asked me to become a part of the family business! Tell me what to say and do so I don't screw up and pretty much just say, 'hey Grandma, I don't wanna kill myself real dad, because, ta-da, I'm a freaking werewolf'!

She tapped her fingers on the phone as she waited for his response.

From Derek: Um, well, just keep quiet for now, okay? Wait until I get back, and we'll talk about it then.

To Derek: When will you be back? It's already 5 p.m. Why did Grandma send you to town anyways.

From Derek: It's, well, I'll tell you tomorrow morning when I get back to the mansion. Okay?

To Derek: What if I need you before then?

From Derek: Shoot me a text then, and we can chat then. But not now. I'm busy.

To Derek: But I'm worried that she'll find out about me being a werewolf if I say the wrong damn thing.

From Derek: Just tell her you're still thinking it over whenever she brings it up. Okay? I need to go.

To Derek: OK. I'll shoot you a text if I need you later.

From Derek: OK, bye. Love you.

Amity just stared down at her phone, her mouth hanging open. Did I read that right?

She stared down at the text harder, and reread it over and over again on her head, before uttering the words aloud. " 'Okay, bye. Love you.' "

She gulped and shut off her phone, just sitting there, staring at her wall, before getting up to plug in her phone as there was a knock on the door and a voice calling out, "Dinner's ready, Miss. Marra."

"Oh, thank you," She called back through the closed door as she made her way into the bathroom to fix her hair.

Looking presentable, she sighed and made her way down the stairs to the Dining Room, where Lilah was sitting, looking proudly at her from the opposite end of the table.

Lilah looked pleased to have Amity as a granddaughter, which caused Amity's heart to squeeze tight.

God, how can I tell her no without hurting her? She's my Grandma!

She smiled and sat down at the end closest to the doorway, smiling at Lilah, her whole attitude as fake as the tan she had gotten last summer.

Yeah, I think her finding out I'm a werewolf is the least of my problems. How could I break that little old woman's heart?

With a sigh, she picked up her salad fork and began on the small salad she and Lilah were just given.

I hope Derek gets back soon, too. Man, I miss him.