Chapter Five - Derek

When Amity opened the door, her heart began to pound in her throat. Standing on the other side of the door, holding her bags, staring straight at her, was the most beautiful guy she'd ever layed eyes on.

"Um. . ." She couldn't get any words out of her dry throat. Oh no, oh no, oh no! I'm silent! Why can't I speak? He isn't that hot. Is he? Oh Gawd! I probably look like an idiot! Say something idiot!

She tried to speak again. "Um. . .hi? Just. . .I'll take those." She lunged for her luggage.

"No, no. Please. Let me put them down inside your room, or otherwise Lilah will kill me." The boy walked in and placed the bags onto Amity's bed. He then straightened up and held out his hand for her to shake. "Hello. I'm Derek Johnstone, and you must be the famous Amity Marra."

Amity shook his hand. "Um. . .famous? I wouldn't. . ."

"Yeah. You're all Lilah ever talks about."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah. She's always saying how cute you were as a little girl, showing everyone pictures of you as a little five year old. Then when you were ten, she would always be telling me how pretty you are."

Amity tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and blushed. "Oh really?"

"Yeah. And I gotta say, you are as pretty as she described you. . .I mean. . .agh!" He stopped and blushed profusely. He slapped a hand to his face and growled. "I'm sorry, that probably sounded. . .bad. I just meant. . .agh."

"What did you mean?"

"That you're. . .I think you're. . ."

". . .cute. . .hot. . .pretty. . .ugly. . .?" She offered him words, staring at him with a shy smile on her face.

"Well, you're definitely not ugly."

"Well, that reassures me. I thought I was falling low on the beauty totem pole," She replied with a snarky attitude.

Amity looked at him and took in his bright green eyes, and his light brown hair that just barely touched his eyebrows. She could look at him all day, but new he'd think she was weird if she did, so she looked at her feet.

"Well, I better get going, before Lilah gets angry and decides to fire me."

"Would she really do that?"

He shrugged and went to the door. Just as he was about to close it, he said, "Oh yeah, and Lilah told me to tell you dinner's at six. She'll then tell you curfew."

"Okay. Thank you."

He nodded and the door closed.

Amity was yet again left alone.