Chapter Twenty - Dad?

She then slowly stepped out from behind Derek, all the while, staring at the man that was now standing before them, as if at any given moment, he would try to kill them.

"How do you know that I am. . .your daughter?" She asked.

"You smell like me, child." The man smiled. "Any may I have the pleasure of knowing your name?"

"I um. . .my name is. . .um. . ."

"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?"

Amity just nodded and hugged on Derek's arm a little tighter.

The man then looked at Derek. "Can you talk? Or does cat got your tongue too, mister?"

Derek sighed. "Sir, I can speak. I am Derek, and this girl, who you claim to be your daughter, is none other than Amity Marra."

"Amity. . .Marra. . ." the man let the name roll around his mouth, seeming to enjoy the way they sounded on his tongue. "Well, Derek and Amity. I am none other than Chris van Gahalin. Local legend."

"Yeah. I know. Lilah Lea Mares has been tracking you down for ages, Chris. How about you just give up and let the old woman live?" Derek stared at Chris harshly.

"Well, I won't do anything unless that pretty girl, who is my daughter, behind you tells me to. Got that?"

Amity sighed and swallowed before whispering to Derek, "Can we go back? I'm. . .out of my comfort zone."

He just nodded and began to push Amity before him, heading back to the mansion.

"Well, is that a kind way to treat Daddy?" Chris asked. "Because I don't think it is!"

The two just walked away, getting out of sight before Amity burst into tears. "He's my father! I'm the daughter of a rogue werewolf!"

Derek shushed her and wiped tears from her cheeks. "Just calm down. Okay? Just calm down."

Her tears came down faster, and a sob racked her entire body as she slipped to the ground. "He's my dad! And I hate him!"

Before she could start doing and saying things she would regret, Derek shushed her once more, before gently placing his lips on hers. He muffled her tears, and for that, she was grateful.