Chapter Fifteen - Some Answers

Amity had told Derek all about her dreams, and his jaw dropped. "That means. . .no. Not that."

"What? What is it?"

He shook his head firmly. "Never mind. If it's so, we'll find out tomorrow."

"What's tomorrow?"

He pointed out the window. "See how the moon's almost full?"

Amity looked and nodded before turning back to him. "What are you saying?"

"It doesn't matter right now, just. . .go back to sleep and forget this conversation."

With a sigh, she stood and went to the door before stopping and turning to look at him. "Why did you do that earlier?"

"What? When?"

"When you shifted into a wolf. Why did you. . .do that?"

He didn't answer or look at her.

"Or do you even know what I'm talking about?"

"I know. I recall what I did."

"Then why did you do that?"

He scrubbed his hand over his face and groaned out loud. "Look, I. . ."

With a low, throaty growl, he stood up and briskly walked over to her, grasping both of her hands in his.

"Amity, look. . .you know how people want to do things, but are too chicken to do them because of. . .embarrassment, or guilt possibly?"

She just nodded and took a step back, leaning against the closed Oak door.

"Well, when I became a wolf. . .do you know an animal's primal instinct?"

"To procreate? Where are you going with this?"

"Just hear me out, okay?"

Amity sighed and leaned further into the door.

"So, because if an animal's primal instinct, they're more confident. That means that it didn't. . .I didn't hesitate to. . .you know."

"You. . .you wanted to. . ."

"Since I first met you."

"So about a week ago?"

Derek shook his head firmly. "No. Before that. Way before that."

"I. . .I don't think I understand."

"You don't remember. Do you?"

Amity shook her head. "Should I?"

"Don't worry." He shook his head again. "I'm sure you'll remember soon."

She was more than confused. "I'm sorry, I'm not following."

"Don't worry. Just go to sleep. I. . .can't explain yet. You will find out soon though."

She nodded and put her hand on the door knob before she paused, turned back, and began to pull off the robe. "Do you want this back?"

Derek shook his head and tugged it back over her shoulders. "Keep it. There are others. Go to sleep."

He tucked her hair behind her ear and gently spun her back around.

"Go to bed."

He gently pushed her out of his room before beginning to shut his door.

As it was just a sliver open, he whispered, "Goodnight."

She walked towards the stairs to her room, Amity snuggled in the robe and was washed over with the smell of Derek's aftershave.

"Damn."

She entered her room and slowly shut the door, turning off her light before jumping into the bed and ditching the robe on a chair.

Maybe some sleep will do me good. Let's just hope I'm not plagued with more dreams like that.

She sighed heavily and closed her eyes, praying for a peaceful sleep.