Chapter Seventeen - Feeling free

Derek just stared at Amity before he asked her, "Did you have that dream again?"

"It wasn't the same exact dream, it never is, but yes. I dreamt of the wolf again. And it spoke in riddles again. I'm starting to hate that wolf."

Derek smiled and gently picked up the bag, pulling out a picture that looked like a family photo.

There was an elderly couple, four adults, and three boys in the photo.

"Huh, this looks interesting," Derek said before setting the picture on Amity's lap.

"Oh! This is my real family photo. Mom had in her closet for years. I always wondered who they were, but didn't want her to know that I was snooping in her closet, looking for my Christmas and birthday presents."

He laughed and looked down at the photo. "I can see the family resemblance. And I can see your real dad." He paused and grabbed the photo. "And your real mom is gorgeous."

Amity watched as Derek looked up at her and smiled. "Just like you."

Oh my God, she thought. Could that have been any more cliché?

Derek just smiled and got up without another word.

* * * * * * * * * *

After she showered and had been in bed for a while, wishing she didn't have to sleep so she wouldn't see that wolf again, Amity felt something calling out to her.

She sat up, and looked around to find the source. The calling feeling pulled her out of bed and to the window, where she pulled back to blinds and looked out at the Full Moon.

With a smile, Amity exited her room and began skipping down the hall and down the first staircase to the second floor. She then slipped down the hall with all the servants' rooms, her bare feet rubbing on the carpet as the hem of her nightgown bounced with her skips.

She passed Derek's room, and the door opened, to reveal a very confused, and sleepy Derek staring at a very peppy and wide awake Amity.

"Hi Derek," she was very loud, but didn't say anything more before he slapped his hand over her mouth and pulled the girl into his bedroom.

"Amity, what the hell are you doing up this late? What if somebody saw you?"

"But the Moon. It's calling me. It's saying I need to go outside and shift. Now I know what the wolf meant."

He sighed and scrubbed his face with his palm. "The Moon is calling you?"

Amity nodded with excitement. "Uh huh."

"Damn. You are a werewolf."

Derek then grabbed Amity's hand and tugged her out of his room, and down the hall, before taking her down out the back door, towards the woods.

"Look at me, Amity. And pay attention. Okay?"

She grew serious and nodded.

He looked at the Moon and growled. "You don't have time. Listen to me, you are about to shift for the very first time, and you will become a wolf okay?"

She nodded. "I know. Can I shift now?"

"No. You still need to listen. When you shift, you need to stay in the woods, since you will only be shifted for a few hours. When you change back, throw a rock at my window, and I'll let you in. Okay?"

Another nod.

"Now at this point, anything I say now you'll forget when you shift. But listen. When you were little, we were friends. I would play with you for hours, and we'd pretend to be pirates of bank robbers.

"I once shifted in front of you, and you loved it to no end. But then, somehow, you forgot me after you left. You were seven. You forgot all about me. But now, we're reunited, and I never want to lose you."

Derek leaned forward and, just as Amity began to shift, he gently kissed her lips. "Take care."

As a wolf, Amity looked up at her old friend, and smiled a wolfy smile, and ran off.

Derek stared after her and sighed. "I love you, Amity. Always have, always will."

Amity, as a wolf, heard his words, and they made her heartstrings pull and want to tug her back to him, but she knew she couldn't, and it tore her apart.

Still being a wolf, she teared back her head and howled at the moon. The howl was filled with pain and hurt, but also love and freedom.

Amity felt free. Wild, unstoppable, free.

To put it simply, she was feeling free for the first time, and she loved it to no end. It was the best feeling in the world.