Chapter Ten - The attic

Amity stared at Derek with a terrified expression plaguing her fair complexion. "What?"

"I think you heard me." He smirked at her horror.

"But. . .won't you get fired?"

"Not if you don't rat on me, I won't."

"But it's my grandmother's house!"

He shrugged. "If you don't tell, she'll nevet know."

"What about the other servants?"

He scoffed. "They'll never tell. We are all in a close-knit group."

With a sigh, Amity thought about it with great vigor. Should I do this? I've never disobeyed a family member in my life. Is Derek worth it?

One look at that hot boy gave her all the answer she needed. Heck yes he is.

"Damn, I can't believe I'm gonna do this." She bit her lip and sighed. "Okay, let's go, I guess."

Derek smiled. "Okay, but first I need to talk to Betty."

"Betty? Who's she?"

"Another servant here. Just wait here, okay?"

Amity nodded and watched him walk out of her room, disappearing down the hall towards the stairs.

* * * * * * * * * *

Derek gingerly opened the door to Lilah's room, while Amity stayed behind him, anxious.

"Are you sure this is okay?"

Derek nodded. "Yes. I am. Don't you trust me?"

Amity shook her head. "I haven't known you very long, so no."

"Well that's rude." He smirked again.

The two then made their way into the room, and Derek went into the far corner of the room before pulling on the cord, bringing down the ladder.

"One creepy attic at your service."

Amity took a deep breath and slowly walked towards him and the ladder.

I can do this. I believe in that.