Chapter Nineteen - The walk

They were both silent for a bit, before Derek cleared his throat and calmly looked over at Amity. "So. . .why did you want to go on this walk?"

She smiled and bumped against him. "Because I wanted to ask you something away from people."

"And that is. . .?"

"Can werewolves normally remember things right before they shift? Like the things that happen durning that."

He shook his head. "No. Their brains are made to forget everything right before they shift. Why?"

"Because I remember. I remember everything you told me before I shifted."

"I. . .I. . ."

"What does that mean?"

Derek shrugged. "I don't think they informed us on that. You might need to ask somebody else, but I'm not sure how many really know."

"Well, who do I need to ask?"

"There's this girl, Carli, she's a. . .vampire. . .who knows a lot about werewolves, but. . .she doesn't like to talk about them."

"Why?"

"Because vamps and weres have been enemies since the Dawn of Time."

"So she and I are automatically enemies?"

"Not precisely. Only if she doesn't like you, but there isn't much to not like."

"Who should I ask if she doesn't tell me anything?"

"A witch named Gigi. She works with the cook."

"Okay. . .and she will speak to me?"

Derek nodded and smiled. "Gigi loves to talk."

Amity just smiled and they continued on in silence.

* * * * * * * * * *

As they went back to Lilah's mansion, a sound off to the side made both of them stop and look around

"What was that?" Amity asked, grabbing Derek's hand for comfort and protection.

"A rabbit? Maybe."

She shook her head. "I don't think so."

After a few moments of silence, the rustling came again, causing Amity and Derek to look at the place it was coming from.

Suddenly, a wolf jumped out of the bushes beside them, arriving in from of the two.

Amity screamed shrilly and dashed behind Derek, almost choking him as she gripped onto his neck. "Who is that?"

Derek smiled and put his hand behind his back, gently putting his hand against her hips. "Relax. I'll change into a wolf too if the situation ends up being so. Okay?"

She gulped and nodded, still gripping onto him for dear life. "I just. . .I'm just. . ."

Derek nodded and looked back at the wild before them. "Are you were?"

The wolf nodded. "Yes. Yes I am. Would you like me to shift back to human?"

Derek nodded. "She's pretty nervous."

"Huh. I didn't think my daughter would be scared of her own flesh and blood."

From behind Derek, Amity's jaw dropped and she peered out from behind him.