EP:17

Chapter 17

Angie's perspective

"A beautiful soul, that knows it's worth is the most dangerous weapon of all." -Ariana

•••••

        THE warm material grazed over my fingertips as I continued folding clothes. Today was wash day and it had been hectic, Jamal couldn't sit still and Jayla wouldn't stop crying. I was in over my head Jeremy was home, but he hadn't talked to me since our altercation the other night. I was kind of grateful for that though because my head was aching and a conversation would only make it worse. I sighed grabbing the white basket placing Jamal's clothes in it before walking over to his room to put the basket in his closet. I tripped over a lego block and stumped my foot yelling out in pain. After picking the toy up off the floor I threw it in his toy box limping downstairs.

"Jamal!" I yelled startling everyone downstairs.

      When I made my way into the main part of the house Jermey was on his laptop working and Daisy was pulling cookies out of the oven. She was still acting pretty weird because of our last encounter. Jamal bounced up and down on the leather couch playing with the baby monitor making me even more upset. I had been searching for that thing all day.

"Jamal!" He jumped as I snatched the baby monitor out of his tiny hands.

"How many times have I told you to clean up your room?" My voice boomed as he stared up at me with fear in his porcelain eyes.

"Two," he said lowly.

"So why haven't you done it yet?"

"I don't know," he put his head down playing with his fingers.

"Get your hard headed ass upstairs and clean up that damn room!"

"I'm sorry momma." He ran towards the stairs.

"And if I catch you playing with this baby monitor again I'm going to beat your little ass."

      I was fed up, as soon as I picked up the baby monitor Jayla started crying again making me sigh. Jeremy appeared from the kitchen with his laptop.

"Angie stop talking to Jamal like that. He can follow directions without you using profanity." He said sighing.

"Oh, he better be glad it was just profanity instead of a belt. Jamal is hard-headed you need to start holding him accountable for his faults before he grows up thinking he can get away with anything."

      Jeremy was raised in a household that didn't believe in whoppings, he got groundings, but that was not an effective method for me. It really didn't work for Jeremy either, but he could afford to be entitled and make mistakes in life. Jeremy came from money and he was spoiled rotten as a child. His parents always got him out of trouble and money plus a nice job was somewhat handed to him. Not that he doesn't work hard it's just that Jamal might not have the same opportunities and if he does grow up with an entitled mindset money will not be his crutch.

"You are not hitting my child with a belt Angie we've discussed this you don't listen." He shook his head walking upstairs.

     Before I could respond the baby monitor sounded off again. I went upstairs to Jayla's bedroom, she was in her crib balling her eyes out. Daisy followed me up to the room.