EP:8

Chapter 8

Angie's Perspective

"You're always one decision away from a totally different life."-Unknown

•••••

    SAND swept over my eyelids as I continued to watch Jamal swing. I sat on the park bench applying sunscreen to all portions of my skin after pulling my curls back into a ponytail. Jamal had been begging me to take him to the park for the past week and to stop his whining I had finally taken him today. He was overfilled with joy bouncing up and down in the car ride here as his sister had to stay at home with the nanny. I couldn't wait for her to get older so that they could play with one another and he wouldn't be so lonely all the time.

    The floral shirt I was currently wearing clung to my skin as the wind flowed almost blowing off my sunglasses. Jamal jumped off the swing running up to me with a huge smile on his face.

"Mommy come swing on the swings with me!" He said with sand all over his new polo shirt.

"I'm okay baby but what did I tell you about jumping out of swings?" I wiped the sand off of his shirt and pants.

"I won't do it again if you ride the swings with me."

"You won't do it again period unless you want a butt whooping."

"Mommy please I don't have anyone to play with."

"Jamal go make some friends then, it's other kids all around us right now." I pointed over to a few children actively making a sandbox.

"Alright fine," Jamal looked at them for a while before running over to the other children in his little converses.

     Pulling out my phone I decided to dial Tia's number. I hadn't spoken to her in over a week making me believe the worst. However, this was nothing new she always ignored my phone calls as if it was nothing. The phone rung several times then went straight to voicemail. I shook my head grabbing my purse walking over to Jamal in my Gucci sandals trying not to mess up my fresh pedicure.

"Jamal baby you wanna go get some ice cream?" All of the kids surrounding him looked up with pleading eyes along with Jamal.

"Yes mommy," he jumped up dropping the sand out of his hands reaching for my hand as the other kids went back to playing and some running over to their parents asking for ice cream as well.

    Jamal and I walked over to the nearby ice cream truck as he held tightly onto my hand. We waited in line for a few minutes.

"What flavor do you want?" I asked pulling out my wallet.

"Um, can I get strawberry shortcake?" He put a finger on his chin in deep thought.

"Wait, I want Cookie Monster."

"Jamal make up your mind."

He looked at me as if I was crazy, "mommy this is a very important decision."

"Little boy, what do you want?" I asked shaking my head.

"A puppy?" He smiled at me.

"You know the rules, no pets Jamal."

EpiphanyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara