Chapter 3

I finish eating and get up to put my plate away. I reach for Tobias's plate as well, but he gets up and says, " Don't worry I got it, thank you". I give him a small smile and reach for Marcus's empty mug. He lets me take it. Not very Abnegation of him. Tobias and I walk over to the kitchen sink and begin to wash our plates and Marcus's mug. Marcus has now moved from his spot on the table to his spot in the living room, where he can't hear us. We stay in silence for a while, until Tobias says something.

"Everything is going to be ok, you know that, right?" Tobias asks

"Mhm," I say, not completely meaning it. What if I don't want it to be ok? Does Tobias mean he's going to stay in Abnegation? " But what if it shouldn't be though?" I ask. At this point, Tobias just has a confused look on his face when he looks at me. His eyebrows furrowed, and his eyelashes touching right under them.  "I'll explain later," I say. I don't want us to get in trouble if Marcus walks in. I don't call my father, dad anymore in my head, or when I'm talking to Tobias. He's not my father, he's just a monster.

We finish washing and drying the dishes and place them on the rack. We then walk back to our rooms and grab our stuff to take along.

"Dad we'll be leaving now," Tobias says, trying not to be awkward while saying 'dad'. " I'll stay with Rose until she's done volunteering," he says going along with my lie.

"Fine, but be home by 9 o'clock. Sharp" Marcus says with a stern look.

We then walk out together and into the street where many families are walking to the Hub. Smiling and laughing with their children, some hand in hand. The gesture of holding someone's hand is still unusual to me. Why feel the need to hold someone's hand, if you're not helping them? Hugging is also weird to me, but I have gotten a hug or two before. One from my mother, a while before she died, and one from Tobias when I first turned 13.

We continue walking to the Hub, where Tobias will take his test. A test that will help in determining his choice. Determine the rest of his future. Whether or not he'll be happy. A test that will determine his life.

Authors Note: Hi! I know, there's not much going on in this chapter, but continue reading for more interesting stuff in the lives of Rose and Tobias! I hope you still liked it, and please recommend my story to others you think will enjoy it! Your reads, comments, and votes are much appreciated! Thank you for reading! 😁♥