Chapter 10

My mom didn't teach me anything crazy, like Dauntless hairstyles, just something simple and noticeable. I get up to close my door and pull out a box from under my bed. I have the same box as Tobias does, a brown one with a lock. I wear the key around my neck, under my shirt. I open the box and go through the items I collected over the years. Little things that aren't important to anyone, but are to me. I eventually find one of the things my mother gave me. A metal tool, or a rod almost, that when you heat it and move it the right way, it heats and changes your hair. When I first saw my mom use it, I was shocked at what happened. Her hair went from flat and straight to a curl, making her hair shorter as well. She eventually taught me how to use it, and told me to be careful because it burns when it touches your skin.

I take out the rod and click it on, waiting for it to heat up all the way. I part my hair on the side with the brush and comb it out again. I then start to curl my hair. Wrapping pieces around the rod, and letting them go. Eventually, my whole head is filled with tight curls so I comb them out. I then take a piece and twist it with my fingers. I take a white clip and pin the twist back. There. Done. I look in the mirror and a smile forms on my face. It looks...nice. I didn't realize how bored I got of wearing my hair up until I finally let it go. I grab my Abnegation sweater and put it on and then head downstairs. I take a deep breath before I reach the end, and then make my way to the table. Tobias glances up at me and then glances back down, a small smile forming on his face, remembering me and mom that day I assume. I begin to eat what he made me, ignoring Marcus's looks at me.

"What are you doing?" Marcus finally asks

"Hm?" I say, my mouth full, acting confused

"Don't be smart with me, you know what I'm talking about, what are you doing?" Marcus says slowly.

"Oh, well mom taught me how to do this," I say motioning to my hair " and I thought I would give it a try"

"Your mother taught you this? For what?" Marcus asks

"She said when it's my choosing ceremony, and if I decide to leave Abnegation, to wear my hair like this. I thought I would try it out today, just for fun" I say, continuing to eat my food.

I normally don't talk like this to my father. Confident it myself, and a rebel almost. I like the feeling. I look over at Tobias, and he is trying to suppress another smile or a laugh, I can't tell. Marcus is still staring at me, wondering what to do next. I decided that now since Tobias is leaving, everything should get better. Not with the pain, of course, that will get worse, but I can handle it. If I know that Tobias is gonna be safe from Marcus, I can take another three years until my ceremony.

"We will discuss this later," Marcus says getting up " I guess you still have somethings to learn about vanity in Abnegation". I glance over to Tobias, who is already looking at me. I get up, finishing my last bite, and take Tobias's empty plate.

"Looking forward to it Marcus" I say and walk over to the kitchen, taking a glance at Marcus's face. It's beginning redden, but is also unable to decide what to say at me. Tobias is leaving and will be happy, and I stood up to my father. Seems like progress to me. 

Authors Note: Thanks for reading! This was such a fun chapter to write, I was waiting for the perfect time where Rose would stand up to Marcus, and I think this was the right choice. I really hope you guys liked it! Please comment on what you liked, or what you feel I should change, vote, and please share this story to anyone you think will like it. Thank you guys! Love you all!♥😁

-Violet