Chapter 30

We walk down to the dining hall and sit down. Today I purposely sit across from Jake. Eventually we're all sitting at the table together, me, Katherine, Liam, Matthew, Dean, and Jonathan. I try my hardest to not look at Jake, and I think he notices too so he has a sad look on his face. I end up not talking the entire time, and he does the same, and when we walk to the training room we walk on opposite sides from each other.

When we get there, it's the same as always. Our rank on one board, and who we're fighting on the other. I notice that my name moved up one spot, but I still need to win this fight and tomorrows to guarantee a spot. I'm fighting with a Dauntless-born today, and she looks pretty tough. Her name Mary, and she definitely is a few spots higher than me on the leader board. A few fights go before us, and then it's our turn. The fight starts off the same as the others, we circle each other and the first few punches go out. Then all of a sudden, she hit's me hard in the gut and the face and I fall. My vision blacks out.

I wake up in a metal cot, like the ones we have in the dormitory. Tobias is sitting next to me, looking at the floor.

"Hey" I whisper

He smiles "Hey" he whispers back "Your up"

"What happened," I ask trying to sit up. My head throbs too much

"You passed out during your fight," Tobias says

"What rank am I now?" I tell him

"That is the thing you should be worried about least right now," He says

"I think it's the thing I should be worried about most," I say

"4th to last," He says

I sigh "Is it enough for right now?" I ask

"As long as you do good in the next stage, you should be fine," He says. He then gets super quiet "You are Divergent after all"

"Isn't that something I'll get kicked out for being?" I ask

"Not if you learn to control it. I can teach you when you're fine again" He says

"I'm fine now," I say getting up. My head still throbs but it's able to deal with.

"No you're not Rose," Tobias says "You just took a beating, rest for a little"

"I've taken worse. We both have actually, from the same person" I say putting on a jacket. It's evening by now, and it's beginning to get darker outside.

"Ok then" Tobias says getting up from his chair. "Call the initiates, tell them to meet Eric and me on the train at 8 pm"

"Ok, see ya there" I say leave.

I walk to the dorms and everyone is sitting on their beds talking to each other. Katherine comes over to me and wraps me in a hug. My head throbs when she does it.

"Thank god your ok," She says

"I've dealt with worse" I say smiling. Her expression falls knowing what I'm talking about. Liam and Jake both smile and nod at me and continue their conversation with some Dauntless-Borns.

"Oh, guys" I say louder so everyone can hear me. "Four said to meet him and Eric on the train at 8 pm tonight"

"For what?" James (Dauntless-Born) Asks.

"I don't know, that's all he told me" I say sitting down. The conversation starts back up again, and I go to sit with Katherine. We talk until 7:50 and then grab some jackets and start to head to the train platform. Liam, Jake, Dean, Matthew, and Jonathan come with us, and everyone else starts to leave too. We all walk in silence, and the wind blows through my hair making my headache more by the wind entering my ears. We finally get to the train platform and climb up the ladder. We wait about 5 minutes until we hear the train coming and see the bright lights. I start running and see one door already open, meaning to jump in that car. We all start running and Katherine and I jump in first, followed by Liam and Jake and then Jonathan. I see Tobias and Eric standing at one side of the cart, and Tobias mouths to me "Are you feeling ok?" so I nod back. When everyone is in the car they start talking.

"Initiates" Eric starts "Since the last fights are tomorrow, we will be starting this game a little earlier than normal. Remember at the end of the fights tomorrow you will be ranked, and though you won't be kicked out of Dauntless if your name is under the red line tomorrow, you will eventually. If you don't get your name above the red line by the end of initiation...your out." He says. We all nod and Tobias begins to speak

"We'll be playing a game called capture the flag. Eric and I will choose our teams, and one team will get out and hide their flag first. The other team will then follow afterward. The goal of the game is to find and take the other team's flag, but to make sure your flag is protected as well, understood?" Tobias says

We all nod and Eric asks "Ok, Four you can choose first" Eric says smirking. Tobias ignores Eric's look on his face and begins to choose. He chooses Katherine first, and then it's Eric's turn.

"Mary" Eric calls out

"Rose" Tobias says.

"Dean," Eric says

"Olivia" Tobias says

"Oliver" Eric says

"Jonathan" Tobias says

"Liam," Eric says

"Abby" Tobias says

"Matthew," Eric says

"Jake" Tobias says

"Emma" Eric says

"Aaron" Tobias says

"Noah," Eric says

"Zach" Tobias says

"James," Eric says

"Jade" Tobias says (Dauntless-born)

"Kristin" Eric says (Dauntless-born)

"Maya" Tobias says (Dauntless-born)

When they finish choosing I notice something similar in all of the people Tobias chose. All of us are small-ish and don't have as much muscle as others. Why wouldn't he choose the tough people like Eric? Then, Eric takes out a box of guns.

Tobias takes one and says "These are not real guns but they mimic the feeling of real ones. The pain goes away in a few minutes. Allow me to demonstrate". He points his gun and shoots Dean in the leg. Immediately Dean lets out a cry of pain, and sinks down against the wall. I know he's trying his hardest not to cry.

"Use it once we start the game. Not before it" Tobias says "Everyone grab a gun". We all start to move towards the box and grab a gun. Once we all have guns, Erics team begins to jump out of the train. Once they're far enough we start to get out too. We stop when we're closer to the city, and huddle to discuss where we're putting our flag. This is going to be a fun game.

Authors Note: Hey guys! I hope you liked this chapter! I'm sorry it's not as long as it could be, but I was hoping to have the entire next chapter reserved for the game! Please make sure to comment, vote and share, and keep reading! Thanks, Love you guys! 😊❤

-Violet