Chapter 9

I wake up the next morning, still on the floor. I try to get up but it hurts too much. I roll over, my back to the floor, hoping the coldness of the floor helps. At this moment, Tobias is already coming down the stairs.

"Oh my god," he says rushing down the stairs. He tries to lift me, but realizes it hurts too much so he stops. He helps me sit up, and I notice that my back feels.. different. I turn my neck to look at my back, blood. The back of my shirt is drenched with blood. Tobias just looks, not knowing what to do. By now the blood is already dry. I didn't feel the blood, I just passed out. I guess that didn't stop Marcus - knowing that his only son might leave him- he hurt me more thinking it will get Tobias to stay.

Marcus then comes down the stairs and just walks right past to the kitchen. I look over to Tobias and he doesn't look sad, or confused, he looks enraged. His face starts to turn red, and he gets up to look at Marcus, who has his back to him.

"Are you crazy?" Tobias says quietly, but loud enough for Marcus to hear. "ARE YOU CRAZY?! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT! HOW MUCH DID YOU BEAT HER?!" He says yelling.

Marcus turns around "Don't use that tone with me" Marcus says quietly, not a good sign.

He begins to walk over to the table but Tobias continues. " YOU SAW THE BLOOD, AND YOU JUST LEFT HER THERE?! ALL NIGHT?!".

"HEY!!" Marcus yells. " If you care as much as you say you do why didn't you help her?".

"If I had known, I would have. " Tobias says quietly 

"No, you were a coward and too afraid to come out of your room." Marcus says

At that Tobias goes silent, and Marcus takes his seat at the table. Tobias comes over to help me up. "Come on, on 3," he says. I grab his shoulders, and he counts. "1.2.3". I try to lift myself as much as I can, but he does the rest. He walks me up to my room, steadying me when I almost fall over since my legs ache as well.

" I think it'll be fine," I say, when we make it to my room, trying to sound grateful. It's hard to when you're in so much pain. "Thank you", I say

"Of course" Tobias replies, " I'll make your breakfast for you". I give him a small smile and nod, and he walks downstairs. I then make my way over to the shower, the cold water helping my back. I look down and the water turns red, and then goes into the drain. 
 By the time I'm done getting ready, my legs are able to move a little better. I put on a shirt that won't scratch as much and put the robe over it. When I'm about to put my hair in a bun I stop. When I was younger, my mom taught me how to do my hair, without a bun. It had different patterns (braids) in it, and I still do it now, with my door closed so I don't get in trouble. She said " When it's your choosing ceremony, and if you decide you don't want to be in Abnegation, you can wear this. Imagine your father's face if he saw it". She knew I hated him, even at that age, so she told me little things that would enrage him. Even Tobias knows about it since I told him. He just smiled. I bet he still remembers what my hair looked like when my mom did it for me that day when Marcus was out for a council meeting. I sit looking in the mirror. I still have 3 more years until my ceremony, I'll do it then. I hesitate, before doing anything, but then take my hair out from the rubber band needed to make a bun.  I comb out my hair and begin to make the patterns in my hair, putting pins in the correct places. Screw it.

Authors Note: Thanks For Reading! I really hope you liked it, this was a really fun chapter to write. Keep reading to see Marcus's (and even Tobias's) reaction to Rose doing her hair how her mom taught her. I know, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I included it as one small step Rose takes to defying her monster of a father. As always make sure to comment and vote,and share this with anyone you think will like it! Thank you, lots of love!😁♥

-Violet