Chapter 1

Above is how her scarf is usually done. Back home in the villages, this is how every woman does her scarf.

This story is in English, the village of Inaar was once occupied by the British. when they left most kids spoke English and Urdu. Generations later everyone speaks Urdu but they can speak and understand a little English.

Inaya speaks English fluently as she lived in England for a while.

The Russians also speak English as they can't speak Urdu.

" come on babies let's go" I bellowed into the field, the goats began trotting towards me. The bright sun slowly settling behind the luscious fields acts as a reminder.

I absolutely love working in the fields, you'd think my educated self with a full-blown law degree from a good university in the UK would hate it but no. This is where my happiness lies, in my homeland.

Glancing around the small village I sighed in peace, everything is perfect here. I was about to enter the small gate towards the house when something caught my eye.

It didn't, more specifically, where's the telephone pole?

There's only one in the village and it's always been visible from here, this exact spot is where I stand to make calls since the signal is always so amazing. The pole wasn't damaged, I made a call earlier today.

With slight panic running through my veins I ushered the goats into their little farm, I threw their hay into the room before locking them inside for the night.

Walking straight past my confused parents I hurriedly climbed the steel stairs, I need a view from the roof. As I clambered up a few bees swarmed around me, oh God why are there so many here! With a defeated sigh I pulled my cotton scarf over my face and ran.

My slippers slapped the concrete as I stopped in front of the east wall, from this position the telephone pole should have been visible.

Scouring the open field I found it, The long pole is laying flat against the wheat, the base of it looks clean, not as if it's just fallen it looks chopped off. Something is definitely wrong. I was about to run downstairs when something else diverted my attention.

A group of henchmen dressed in all black armour are trotting along the gravel back road into the village, the military!! They're not allowed here, it's disputed land. My heartbeat skyrocketed as the men began filing with their guns.

This is an invasion.

The sunset lighting glimmered across the small-ish houses, it looks almost peaceful but that's not going to last.

" HIDE THE ARMY IS HERE!!" My scream echoed through the village, instantly there were panicked door slams, I watched as the field workers began sprinting towards their homes panicked.

The group of men also began hurrying towards us.

God, mum and dad.

With one last fearful glance at the approaching army, I dashed down the infested stairs and towards mum and dad.

They were both stood beside the main door, panic plastered across their wrinkled faces.

"Mum dad get inside now" I rushed out, the adrenaline rushing through my body made it hard to think straight.

" Beti you're coming too"

" I'm going to lock the gates and hide the animals please just go" I spoke hurriedly, with hesitance he ushered mum through the main door.

Locking the main gate I ensured the animals were all inside the large cellar room, I glanced through the barred window. Yep, all 15 animals are here.

I need weapons. My shaken fingers pushed the small gate open only to find the little men rather large and standing in front of the house. How the hell did I forget the back gate! My body froze in panic.

Their postures stiff as the guns were raised in my direction, a man stepped out of the small crowd. His skin pale and already burning in the winter sun. They definitely aren't Indian or Pakistani.

" Come with us" Russian? His English had a slight accent to it. Nodding no I gently backed away.

"Why"

"Come with us or I'll kill you"

"No I'm ok, if you could get off my land it would be greatly appreciated" the clocking of the semi-automatic weapon caught my bluff off guard, I'm going to have a panic attack that's what's going to happen.

His mouth opened to threaten me again but instead, he was interrupted.

" Is it cleared" he doesn't sound Indian either, please do not tell me the Russians decided to join the fight for Kashmir. We're just managing to get by, why are we fated with such bad luck.

"No, there's one lady refusing to leave the one who warned everyone" The man spat pacing the concrete.

"You guys get to work, we don't have all day, I'll be there to sort her out" he's definitely Russian! The way his words were chopped made it obvious. What the hell is going on here.

We have nothing for them to take, I'd understand India and Pakistan simply because of their petty disputes and the rivers but this makes no sense.

"Who, who's coming?" I asked wearily, the commander motioned for his men to leave through the gate-less alley.

" Vladimir Yahontov, if you had just listened to me you wouldn't have to face the devil. "

"Tell the Shaytan I'm a little too busy" I rumoured trying to hide my fear, the man didn't find my humour funny, well neither do I but turns out jokes are my defence mechanism.

I need weapons! I glanced around the small grassy garden in panic, I was about to scream in frustration until I found it.

The sharp curved blade stuck out against the luscious green grass, without hesitation I grabbed the cold weapon and took a position in front of the door.

The sweat on my palms became sticky as the sound of motorbikes echoed around me.

The apparent Devils on his way.

Soooo how is it???!