Chapter 4

Ambling onto the main road my eyes caught onto a heartbreaking sight, the empty school. The small one-floor school used to exude noise all throughout the day, children would laugh and play in the grassy field. Now it's empty. I have to get to the bottom of this.

My grandparent's graves are here, I'm not going to let them take over and ruin this village. I have an unsettling feeling if the Russians leave the Indians will be next in line. They'll take it as an opening.

"Inaya!" My thoughts crashed as soon as I heard dads voice echo through the fields. All the villagers were gathered under a large tree, sweat dripping from their faces. Oh God.

Dad ran past the lingering villagers and pulled me into a hug, not noticing the large pot on top of my struggling body. 

"Puthar are you ok" he mumbled squeezing me tight. Gently pulling away he helped me put the pot on the ground and quickly hugged me again. 

" I'm ok, how are you how's mama" he turned around staring at the crowd worriedly.

" Your mum is ok, what's that?" he asked pointing at the pot. 

"Come and eat!" I yelled to the crowd, they immediately hurried over to me. There are around 50 people in our village all together including children.

I squatted by the pot and began plating a good amount of biryani into small plastic plates, dad helped by handing them out as I plated. Once that was done I cleaned my hands with my scarf and stood up. 

Everybody was sat under the tree attempting to avoid the harsh beating sunlight, I forgot the water. 

As I turned towards the road I spotted the man ordered to follow me, he stood a few feet away with his gun held high.

"Dad, I'm going to get water" I stated quickly, he tried to stop me but I fast-walked towards the water well.

I don't want anyone to roam the streets as it'd probably end up in them being killed. 

As I got closer to the well I spotted Ivanov standing there with 5 other men, they immediately raised their weapons.

"I'm just here for water" I spoke quietly, the men looked at Ivanov and he nodded for them to move. 

Ensuring my scarf was secure around my head I grabbed the hose and a large container that was beside it.

Once the container was full I was about to pick it up when Ivanov lifted it. Hell to the NO!
Squatting low I grabbed the bottom of the container and snatched it away, he stumbled in surprise.

" I was helping" he spoke confused.

" if you get off my land that'd be helping too" I snarled, turning around I headed back towards the people.

'I was helping' God I can't stand them!

Once I got back I placed the container on the ground and headed towards the seated crowd. Their eyes were glued to the rice.

Before I could start to talk I felt a gruelling figure looming behind me, I turned quickly to see Vladimir stoically glancing at the people.

"Come here" he motioned to me, looking back at the villagers I slowly stepped towards him. His eyes lingered on me for a second before glancing at them.

"Elderly people who cannot work go towards that man over there now" Vladimir stated loudly, a few people began to amble over but mum and dad didn't move. Catching their attention I motioned them over to the 

Around 14 people got up, ya Allah.

Vladimir was about to leave but I couldn't let him, just the elderly?!

"What about pregnant women and children?" I said quickly, he stopped in his tracks angrily, a look of pure fury settling on his face.

" I don't know who the fuck you think you are" he seethed stepping closer to me, I took a step back.

"They won't be able to do anything, please"

"Oh moya malen'kaya smuglaya devochka I'm going to love seeing you crumble" he growled, his eyes turning pure black "pregnant women and children move, everyone else get to work." His eyes locked on me the whole time. my stomach began to falter, what is this?

(My little brown girl)

At least he's letting them go.

"Puthar!" mum screamed running up to me panic stricken, her cream scarf was dragging against the mud "what is he doing!" 

I held mum and dad close in fear, I can't believe this is actually happening. 
"He's a bad man, we have to do what he says until I can find a way to get us out" I whispered, just as dad tried to say something I heard someone yell my name.

Turning around I spotted Vladimir and Ivanov standing at the edge of the field, Ivanov called me over once again.

" I love you guys, take care"