Chapter Three - Systems

I wake up to the unfamiliar sound of voices. They're happy, stressed, pressing. Voices that command attention whilst drifting away in the wind. My mind doesn't absorb them, but my body tenses at the unfamiliar sensation of my surroundings. I allow myself three seconds of internal shock before opening my eyes to find myself looking straight up at the wooden planks holding the mattress above me.

Turning to the side, I spot Evelyn and Ruby still sleeping. Evelyn sprawls out on her stomach whilst Ruby is curled in a ball, as if expecting a blow of pain to come towards her. I slowly take a step out of bed and go to the door. I praise my organization of sleeping in my clothes and open the door, stepping out into the cool corridor.

My back presses against the wall as I breathe a sigh of relief at the lack of people here. Obviously, whoever was talking has moved on and all that remains is two people at the end of the corridor, their backs to me. Moving quickly, I march down the corridor and step into the main entrance, stopping at the sight of ten people moving around in pursuit of their own individual goals. I stop and stare. Not making a sound, I hold my head high as I walk swiftly towards the defense corridor.

I don't glance to my side or slow down once. I keep walking until the fluorescent lighting of the defense room blinds my eyes and eases my soul. No-one is here. Completely deserted, the defense area stretches out in front of my eyes.

The corridor forms a winding ramp down to the floor. Formed into a circle, the floor shines against the lights. Defense equipment lines the walls around it with one corner further away opening to reveal targets and mats lined up against the wall. A small smile creeps its way onto my face.

I roll my shoulders out as I walk down the winding ramp, my footsteps echoing. Reaching the floor, I walk through the main fighting ring and head straight for the targets. My hands flex in and out of fists as I choose what to throw, eventually deciding on knifes. Basics, although life-saving in some situations. I take three and clench my hands around the handles.

Both camps get funds based off of how many people they have. They have the freedom to decide what to spend it on, so I'm less than excited when I take in the well preserved yet lacking supplies in front of me. Marchwood clearly don't have their priorities straight. Defence supplies should be well used, evidence of training and battles tarnishing them.

I correct my footing in front of the middle target. I let them go in intervals, each one landing with a deep vibration that pleases the perfectionist within me. Sliding my eyes back to my target, I find my knifes all perfectly submerged in the middle, their handles sticking out with the temptation to keep practicing. I listen to them and practice some more because in my current situation, these could be the skills I need to stay alive in an unfamiliar camp.

I'm allowed the luxury of practicing for another hour before somebody comes in. I glance up with my hair sticking to my sweaty face. Brushing it all back, I make eye-contact with Ruby as she skips down the ramp. I raise my eyebrows but she just sends me a smile.

"Coming to the canteen?" She asks. "You must be starving."

I ignore the squirming in my stomach and shake my head. "No thanks."

Ruby sighs and grabs my wrist, pulling me along with her. I would fight back; I could fight back. Especially when I'm in a defense room – I'm practically invincible here. But I won't because although I don't trust her, she seems innocent to the point that my retaliation would just seem harsh. I begrudgingly follow along until we stop outside of the food corridor.

Letting go of my wrist, Ruby walks along ahead of me as I trail behind, walking slowly as I correct my posture. The corridor expands in front of my eyes to reveal the camp of Marchwood bustling beneath me with an indescribable energy.